The George Inn. (Part).
A Grade 2 listed building.
C18. Brick. Tiled hipped roof. 3 storeys.
2:3:2 windows. 2 shallow projecting wings and a recessed centre piece. Each
wing has dentil blocks below eaves, and below these a dentilled pediment above
1st floor on a cornice. The recessed centre piece has also a pediment with a similar
dentilled cornice, which thus runs the whole length of the front. The centre piece
is lower than the wings. Sashes some with thick glazing bars, ground and 1st floor
keyblocked arches. Centre ground and 1st floor 2-storeyed canted bay of sashes
with glazing bars, with fielded panel door to left with rectangular fanlight and
moulded hood on shaped brackets. No 10 has early C20 shop front with fascia and
cornice on brackets, and round-headed passage on right with keyblock.
In 1781 the George Inn, possibly new, was offered to rent with twenty acres of ground,
which probably included frontage to Southend as far as No 19 a cottage of the same period.
In the early 1800s it was owned by the Taylor family who also owned the Feathers.
Various landlords followed with short tenancies, with Joseph Antonio perhaps the most colourful from 1845 to 1861.
Perhaps too big for its own good it was divided in two in about 1862.
The building work may have been done by Robert Preece whose family owned No 10 from 1871 to 1974.
For more see No 11.
1839 Tithe Map
Owner Eliza Taylor. Occupiers James Nott and John Williams.
Thomas Haywood 30, Publican.
Joseph Antonio 50, Innkeeper.
James Matthews 49, Innkeeper.
Between 1861 and 1863 the George Inn was divided into two properties.
Robert Preece 50, Plumber.
Robert Preece 60, Plumber
Robert Preece 70, Plumber and Glazier.
William Preece 51, Builder and House Decorator.
From 1910 Survey
Occupier Ellen Preece. Owner Mrs Ellen Preece.
Ellen Preece 64 Widow.
Preece W Builder and Plumber.
Preece W Builder and Plumber.
Symonds H Fire Brigade.
Preece & Sons Electrical Engineers.
Shepherd L B.
Colin's Hairdressing Salon.
To be confirmed.
Beard & Co Accountants.
For some history of the George Inn see No 11.
Robert Preece, b 1821, variously described as Painter, Plumber or Glazier, was the son of William Preece, a currier in the Homend, and Elizabeth.
He married Elizabeth Wargent on Aug 24th 1845, she was the daughter of John Wargent a shoemaker of Back Lane.
Sarah Anne 1848 in Back Lane.
William 1850 in New Street.
Elizabeth 1852 in New Street.
Robert 1854 in New Street.
Matilda 1857 in New Street.
Olive 1859 in New Street.
Annie 1861 in New Street.
Ada Louisa 1863 in Southend.
Henry 1865 in Southend.
This list, showing their baptism addresses,
demonstrates that they moved to the Southend when it became available.
Elizabeth died in 1896 and Robert in 1898.They are both buried in the Cemetery, the epitaph reads:
In affectionate Remembrance of Elizabeth the beloved wife of Robert Preece who died November 15th
1896 aged 74 years. Also in memory of Robert Preece who departed this life September 4th 1898 aged 77 years.
Their eldest son William took over, he and his family are in No 10 in 1901.
He married Ellen Hopkins, born 1847, daughter of John Hopkins the Coachmaker of New Street, in Ledbury in 1873.
William in 1873 in New Street.
Alfred Robert in 1877 in New Street.
Elizabeth Ann in 1879 in New Street.
Mabel Ellen in 1883 in New Street.
Albert John Victor in 1887 in New Street.
Harold George in 1891 in New Street.
William died in September 1910, his widow, Ellen, died just a few months later in November 1911.
The property remained in the Preece family until at least 1974. (From communication with Chris Petz via Old Ledbury Facebook Group).
1926 Electoral Register
Preece Cecil Arthur.
Cecil Arthur Preece 41, Partner in a Building Firm with his wife Mary