A Grade 2 Listed Building.
C18 brick. Hipped tiled roof. 2 windows. 3 storeys. 2-light casements with
carving in cambered heads. Sash with margin panes on ground floor. Passageway
with stucco arch and keyblock and impost. Brick dentil eaves.
Always a private house and occupied by various people throughout the nineteenth century.
It became the Roman Catholic presbytery from about 1911 to 1921.
A doctor's surgery from 1930 to 1982 and, in the Stone Barn behind it, the location of the Grace Dovey's School of Dancing during the 1950's.
From Tithe Map
Owned and occupied by Richard Rider.
Joseph Hyde, 57, Veterinary Surgeon.
William Merett 31 Stone Mason.
James Preece 43 Retired Bankers Clerk.
George Barnes 56 Farm Bailiff.
George Wetson 46 Drapers Assistant.
Emma Wetson 49 Dressmaker.
From 1910 Survey
Occupier Rev F C Lynch. Owner Hunt H J Tramore Overndale Rd Downend Glos. (Bristol)
Frederic Charles Lynch 37 Roman Catholic Priest.
Mrs Wetson Dressmaker.
Begley, Rev. Father. Roman Catholic Presbytery.
Lynch, Rev Father F. C. Roman Catholic Presbytery.
O'Keeffe, Rev Father P. Roman Catholic Presbytery.
Drs. Harrison & McKean, surgery.
Drs. McKean & Airey, surgery.
Dr Airey's surgery.
Short H. Local Fuel Office (L Edwards).
Steen Dr. K C D. surgery.
Rose Dr P & P J, surgery.
Stark R J.
Note. Dr Mckean lived in No 23 The Yews, Southend and Dr Airey lived in The Priory in Worcester Road in 1939.
It seems as if this was just a surgery.
The Tithe map states Richard Rider is the owner and occupant. He has moved to Southend Parade by the 1841 census.
For more on Joseph Hyde see No 2
The head of household is William Merrett a stonemason from Painswick.
He married Emily Birt in Stroud (District) in 1851.
Elizabeth Merrett (a second Christian name) in Painswick in 1852
George Arthur in Painswick in 1855
James in Painswick in 1857
Albert in 1861 in Ledbury
Eber in 1863 in Ledbury
Francis William in Painswick in 1869
They had moved back to Painswick before 1869.
Also in the household are Philip Cook, 16, a stonemason, also from Painswick and Richard Bignall, 24, another stonemason, from Birdlip.
There must have been work in Ledbury needing three stonemasons around 1861 and building the Cemetery chapels comes to mind..
James Preece, 75, a retired Banker's clerk is here with his wife Ann, 75. From Hereford he spent most of his time in Hereford, Ann was originally from Ledbury, there seem to be no children.
He died in Hereford in 1874, she died in Ledbury in 1875.
George Barnes(1825-1895) a widower, Farm Bailiff, is here with 5 of his 12 children.
married Jane Evans in 1849 in Hereford (District) and they had most of their children in Little Marcle. Jane died in 1879 age 50 in Ledbury (District).
With George are:
Emma, a dressmaker, born 1850.
Annie, aka Hannah, born 1858.
Mary born 1861.
George Harry born in 1867.
Ralph born in 1870.
This family were to stay here until around 1903.
Emma Barnes married George Wetson (1844-1898) in 1882. They had Frances in 1885 and Frederick in 1888.
With George as head of household, the Wetsons are living in No 16 with Emma's father George Barnes, now 66.
Also there is her sister Margaret (1853-) who had married Henry Taverner Watts in Hereford and her children Frank Watts b
1886 and Montagu Watts b 1887, both born in Ledbury. Completing the household is Marion Barnes
(aka Emily b 1865?) a dressmaker.
George Barnes died in 1895 in the Southend. aged 70
George Wetson died in 1898 in the Southend aged 54
From the Worcester Journal November 28th 1891:
VACCINATION. James Wetson and George Wetson, of Ledbury were summoned for not having their children vaccinated. This
had been done since the summons was issued, and defendants were ordered to pay the costs 5s 6d each.
(Smallpox vaccination became compulsory in 1853.)
(George Wetson, born in Newent, was the second son of George (1810-1890) and Ann (1810-1887) Wetson of Massingham, Ledbury,)
Emma, now a widow, is head of household with Frances now 17 a Post Office clerk and Frederick 13 scholar.
With them is her sister Hannah, now married to Benjamin Bastow, and her children Stanley b 1895 Gloucester, Reginald b 1899 Ledbury and Roland b 1899 in Ledbury.
Emma Wetson died in 1936 at St Katherine's.
From 1910 Survey
The owner was Herbert James Hunt, 59, of private means, single, born in Shepton Mallet. What his connection with Ledbury is not known.
1926 Electoral Register.
Welch Francis Rivarola.
The Stone Barn behind No 16 was once part of The Unicorn (No 15) complex. Until 1993 it had various uses as a semi public venue here is a list its usage:
1844 Meeting House of the Oddfellows.
1847 Commissoners of the Queen's Taxes meeting house.
1897 Plymouth Brethren leave.
1904 Catholic Church starts.
1926 Catholic Church leaves.
1928 Girl Guide Headquarters.
1930 Girl Guides leave.
1928 Possible start of Grace Dovey School
1940 Grace Dovey School of Dancing
1960 Last reference to Grace Dovey
1993 Referred to as the Stone Barn, D Roberts in residence.