Tithe Map Plot No 275
A Grade 2 Listed Building.
Early Cl9. Red brick with gable ended roof. 3 storeys. 2 windows. Sashes with
glazing bars, flat brick arches with keyblocks. No 25 (left) has moulded doorcase
with pediment on shaped brackets and panelled door. Right hand return end wall
3 tall round-headed shallow recesses.
As shown on No 24 page the above citation refers to the building including Nos 24 and 25.
Built in the 1800s and located in front of the Coach House of No 23, and really preventing vehicular access to it, I firmly believe
the pair were built shortly after No 23 was sold in 1827. They both take the same 1839 Tithe Plot Number.
And from the Hereford Journal January 26th 1831.
Two desirable and genteel residences to be sold by Auction by Charles Share
All those Two new and substantially Brick Built Dwelling Houses and Offices, commodiously fitted up with every necessary
fixtures and convenience: each House having a parlour and sitting room on the ground floor,
an underground kitchen and good cellar underneath, and a drawing room and three excellent bedrooms
with two closets and attics over and likewise possessing an excellent supply of water.
These Premises are now in the several occupations of the Rev. Mr Jackson and Mr. Thomas Woodward
(two respectable tenants); and are pleasantly situated in the SOUTHEND STREET in the Town of Ledbury,
overlooking the Park and Pleasure Grounds of John Biddulph Esq.
For a view apply to Mr. William Juckes, the proprietor and for further particulars to Mr
James Gregg, solicitor or the Auctioneer.
William Juckes was a builder.
From Tithe Map
Owned by Elizabeth Juckes. Occupied by James Collins and Frances Matthews.
Frances Matthews 60 Saddler.
Harriett M Bibbs 27 Dress Maker.
Elizabeth Gregg 72 Annuitant..
Mary Whittenbury 36 Principal of School.
Jane Hunt 48 Lodging House Keeper.
Mary Wetson 58 Boarding House Keeper.
From 1910 Survey
Occupier M A Wetson. Owner The trustees of Mrs Mutlow.
Elizabeth Ann Gardiner 51 Boarding House Keeper.
Wetson Miss, Burden Miss.
Staunton S M.
Staunton S M.
Born in about 1780, the Hereford Journal of January 1st 1817 records that Francis Matthews of Ledbury married Mrs. Mary Bateman of Homend in Stretton Gransome (Grandison) on December 27th 1816.
They had Sarah Ann in 1818, Mary in 1820, Frances in 1821 (she died in 1839), Francis in 1823 and Edward Smith (Matthews) in 1825, (he died in Jan 1826) all in Ledbury.
Established as a Saddler before 1812 when he reported 16 year old John Smith as a runaway apprentice in that year.
(Harbouring or employing a runaway apprentice was an offence).
Bankrupt in 1822, he was released from Hereford gaol in 1823.
I haven't been able to find his death.
Mary's burial age 67 is recorded in Ledbury on January 1st 1851 address
given as Southend,and a report in the Hereford Journal of January 15th records the death on Dec 28th
(1850) of Ann, wife of Mr Francis Matthews, saddler,of Southend Ledbury.
It does say Ann but I guess they have got it wrong! The wording implies that Francis is still alive, possible he would have been
All this could explain why No 25 is unoccupied in the 1851 census.
Harriett May Bibbs (1832-1909)
Harriett May Bibbs was born to Henry and Elizabeth Bibbs of Hall House Farm. (For more see under Bibbs in Potted Biographies.)
As expected she is with the family at the farm in 1841 and in 1851 she is one of 8 apprentices to Mary
Smith a dressmaker in St James St London.
Returning to Ledbury in No 25 in 1861, she never married and moved to Horse Lane by 1871.
According to the Electoral Registers for 1890,1891 and 1892 she owns, and lives in,
property in the Southend and in 1891 she is in No 42 (qv
She is in New Street in 1901 where she ended her days in 1909.
Elizabeth Gregg (1798-1883)
A daughter of James and Mary Gregg (see under Gregg in Potted Biographies) she never married.
Variously described as an architect, builder and stonemason, James in his will refers to cottages in Southend.
Living here with her sister Mary, b 1802, as a Proprietor of Houses, (well her father was a builder!), they moved to New Street by 1881
by 1881 living with a cousin Sarah Williams, 70. After Elizabeth's death in 1883, Mary stayed in New Street until her death in 1896.
For more see Potted Biographies.1881
Mary Whittenbury 36.
From Manchester and briefly living here as a 'Principal of School' with her mother Mary, 70 and sister Amelia,
30 a teacher. For more see Potted Biographies.
Jane Mann b 1843, married Thomas J. Hunt, b 1838, in Gloucester.
A chemist and druggist in Stroud and Gloucester he died suddenly in 1888.
By 1891 Jane had set up No 25 as a lodging house with her daughter Gertrude Ellen, 24,
acting as a private secretary. Jane died in Bristol in 1927
Mary Wetson, b 1843, is now the Boarding House keeper.
George Wetson married Ann Dee in 1840 in Tewkesbury.They had James in 1841, Mary Ann in 1843, George in 1844,
Frederick in 1848, Richard in 1849, Jane in 1850 and Arthur John in 1854.
A Farmer of some standing George had a large holding at Massington Farm just outside Ledbury on the Worcester Road.
Ann died in 1887, George (senior) in 1890, this probably contributed to the break up of the family home at Massington.
George, junior, died in 1898, his address given as Southend where he
was surely with his sister Mary Ann the Boarding House Keeper, Mary Ann died in 1934 in St Katherine's Hospital.
Tilley's Directory tells us that
Mary was here until 1910.
There are more Wetson family details on the Conformist Memorial Inscriptions section on the Cemetery page.1911
Elizabeth Ann Gardiner, b 1860 in Stretton Grandison, is here with her daughter Florence Annie, b 1888, in Ledbury.
As Elizabeth Ann Hall she married John Gardiner in 1887 and they had Florence Annie, their only child, in April 1888,
John described as a painter from Newtown in her baptism. They are in Wellington Heath in 1901.
John died in 1905 aged just 47.
Florence married Richard Mason Bishop of Taunton in Ledbury on Dec 28th 1911, her address given as 25 Southend.
Elizabeth died in Ledbury in 1941.
Tilley's tells us that Mrs Gardiner was in No 25 until 1921.
James Staunton, a Builder and Contractor, born on Dec 11th 1895 is here with his wife
Dorothy V. H. nee Smith, they married in Birmingham in 1931.
They had Janet C in Ledbury in 1937 and Sheila Margaret in Hereford in 1942.
Dorothy died in Hereford in 1963, James in Worcester in 1979.
Janet married James Taylor in Ledbury in 1958.
Tilley's tells us that the Staunton name is in No 25 from 1934 through to 2002.
James until 1982 and Sheila Margaret until 2002. Sheila died in 2004.