No 26

Tithe Map Plot No 276

A Grade 2 Listed Building
C18. Red brick. Gable ended slate roof with brick dentil eaves. 3 storeys. 1 window wide. 3-light mullion/transom casements with cambered heads. 6-panel fielded-panel door, with simple hood on shaped brackets.



No26







A shop in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses with the 1851 specifying it as a sweet meat shop.

I am grateful to William Mutlow for all the following C20 information.

A sales advert from 1938 describes the house thus:

The Accommodation of No 26 comprises: Living Room, Kitchen with range, Two bedrooms on the first floor and Two Bedrooms on the second floor (all Bedrooms have fireplaces and three have hanging Wardrobes), Attic, Large Cellar, Garden, W.C.
Town Water. Electric Light and Gas.

Owned by Ann Jenkins of Staplow in the latter part of the nineteenth century, she died in 1906.
In her will she ‘leaves my two cottages situate in The Southend Ledbury now in the respective occupation of Miss Smith and Miss Bradley... to George Mutlow of Bradlow...’. George Mutlow died in 1937.
In 1938 No 26, with tenant Mr R Clarke, was offered for sale and bought by Mrs Lily Turner of 1 Holly Cottage, Victoria Road for £276 17s 6d. Providing continuity Molly, the daughter of Lily, married Gerald the son of George Mutlow.
Lily Turner died at No 26 in 1980 and in 1981 the property was sold for £14,950 to a Mrs D Hooke. After ‘being tastefully refurbished’ No 26 was again sold in 1982, now for £25,950.











From Tithe Map Owned by James Ward. Occupied by Ann Gurney.

1841     Anne Gurney 68 Shopkeeper.

1851   The Census Enumerator identifies three heads of households here in this census, not lodgers or                  boarders, suggesting the house was divided up into separate ‘apartments’.They are:

             Sarah Pounds 52 Sweet Meat Shop. (On the ground floor?)
             Frances Hinnington 62 Clergyman of Established Church.
             Catherine Barnes 65 Annuitant.

1861     Catherine Blakeway 58.

1871     Louisa Smith 72 Annuitant.

1881     Elizabeth Smith 57 Income from Int. of Money.

1891     Elizabeth Smith 66 Living on own means.

1901     Elizabeth Smith 76 Living on own means.

From 1910 Survey   Occupier A &E Smith. Owner Mr George Mutlow Staplow Ledbury.

1911     Elizabeth Smith 85 Private Means.






Ex Tilleys:

1903     Smith The Misses.

1912     Smith The Misses.

1921     Harris R.

1928     Soloman Mrs.

1934     Clarke R.

1939     Turner Mrs.

1975     Turner.

1982     Salles P.

1985     Whittaker A E.

1995     Surman R.

2002     Surman R.


More Info.

1841

The owner on the Tithe Map is probably James Ward (1803-1862) of Flights Farm.

1851

Of little interest to Ledbury, Sarah Pounds was born in 1794 in Sussex she died in the Southend in 1859, when presumably No 26 became available for Catherine Blakeway.

Frances Winnington b 1789 in Hanford Worcs moved on to Great Malvern by 1861 and Brighton in 1871 where he died in 1876.

Catherine Barnes is of more interest to Ledburians:
Born in 1789 to John and Mary Barnes of Ledbury. Unmarried in New Street aged 72 in 1861 as a lodger with Thomas Llewellyn, a police constable, as a Companion to a Lady. Thomas Bowkett aged 82 is a widower in Horse Lane. Evidently it was the talk of the town when these two got married in 1864.

Barnes Marriage
From Hereford Times Aug 6th 1864


A more comprehensive article sets the scene:
LEDBURY. The proverb that wonders will never cease, and its kindred one that truth is stranger than fiction, is often amply verified, and it is very apropos to an event which occurred in our quiet little town this week. About a week since a report made.......... (indecipherable) of the town that the respected sexton of about (indecipherable) summers was about to lead to the ........ (indecipherable) as the phrase usually runs "young blushing bride", but a spinster whose judgement has been matured three score and fifteen years acquaintance with the chequered affairs of time.
The lady referred to is Miss Catherine Barnes, who for some time occupied furnished lodgings in the house which has now become her own. The report turned out to be correct; but through the mediation of some friends the parties were, it was thought, induced to think better of it. The would be bridegroom, whose study and exposition of the Scriptures is well known, was not the person to be foiled in this way, and he had probably read with some satisfaction the sacred maxim " that two are better than one," and that " it is not good that man should be alone," and therefore resolved to carry out his intention.
Early therefore, on Tuesday morning last, the town was again on the que vive by the announcement (which, by the way, was in every one's mouth) that the old clerk had that morning been married, which was speedily confirmed by our musical bells sending forth some of their most joyous peals, which was an act of courtesy by the ringers to the bridegroom, in consideration of his having been in former times a bell ringer. A number of people had collected at the church to witness the ceremony; but had the morning's event been generally known, the parties would have been honoured, we think, with audience, in point of numbers, not often seen on such occasions. We understand the bridegroom gave his responses in a very firm tone of voice, which affords a hint which juniors as well seniors will do well, we suppose to imitate.
But few men have seen a longer service in the Church than our venerable sexton, he having acted in one capacity or another in the Church most of his lifetime. Parties from a distance visiting our fine old church will easily identify the subject of our remarks, whose familiar narration of the chief events connected with the town, church, and neighbourhood, back to a very distant period, must always have been interesting. In conclusion, we can only wish the married couple many years of connubial felicity.


Unsurprisingly, despite the best wishes of the Hereford Times the couple did not enjoy too many years of connubial felicity, she died in 1866, he died in 1868.

1861

Catherine Blakeway, nee Bennett, was born in Brampton Abbots in the Forest of Dean in 1803.
She had a son Bennett, a solicitor when he was with her here in 1861, on June 17 1838 in Ross. He later took Holy Orders and became vicar of Horton near Leek in Staffs. He married Rose Sarah Carr in 1874 and died in 1919.

1871 through to 1911

Louisa Smith (nee Farlow) was born 1799 in Brixton. She married William Smith, farmer b 1791 of Hall Court Much Marcle.

They had:
Elizabeth in 1824
Louisa in 1826
William Henry in 1828
Sarah Ann in 1830
Thomas in 1832
George John in 1834
Emily Caroline in 1836
Mary Emma in 1838
James Mathews in 1841

William died on June 24th 1861 at Hall Court. His wife Louisa is established in No 26 in 1871 with her daughter Sarah Ann. Louisa died in December (Quarter) 1871.
In 1881 the eldest daughter, Elizabeth, is established as head of household with Sarah Ann both unmarried and these two appear in all censuses to 1911. Sarah Ann died in 1911, Elizabeth in 1917.
See preamble for more.