A Grade 2 Listed Building.
Late C18. Brick. Slate hipped roof. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Sashes with glazing
bars, flat rubbed brick arches with keyblocks. Panelled door partly glazed, arched
fanlight with radial glazing bars, keyblock and moulded impost. Dentilled eaves.
This description is taken from sales particulars dated 1919.
In the basement ( which has a separate entrance from the level of the Garden), Scullery with range,
furnace, sink, soft water pump, sink, hard water tap and slab, Larder with stone slab and shelves, Coal Cellar and Wine Cellar with bins.
On the Ground Floor, Entrance Hall, Large Dining Room, Drawing Room with French window opening to Garden, Kitchen with range and large store cupboards.
On the First Floor, a large front Bedroom, Bedroom with dressing room adjoining.
On the Second Floor, large front Bedroom, Bedroom, Bath Room with hot and cold water, Bath, Lavatory
Basin and Airing Cupboards and WC.
There is an excellent walled in Garden which has an entrance from the South Parade and contains a Pigs Cot and Closet.
The census of 1851 gives a clue as to why it is called Bank House.
Living here in that year is James Roberts 35, single, Bank Manager. This fact alone would not be enough to justify the name Bank House but a careful study of various trade directories does.
A continuous run of directories is not available but there are enough to tell the story.
Early directories, up to 1844, quote the Ledbury branch of the National Provincial Bank of England being in the High Street.
(A newspaper report of 1849 quotes James Roberts as manager of the Bank without stating its location.)
In 1856 the Bank is in the Southend, Richard Lewis as manager and it was there until at least 1863.
By 1879 it was in the Homend in a purpose built building which can be seen today.
In 1861 George Upward 22 is in residence as a Banker's Accountant and with the Bank gone it is unoccupied in 1871.
By 1877 a Mr W Williams is in residence as in that year you could book your passage to America through him (see Advert).
This must have been a short lease as John Buckell was here in 1878/9.
From Tithe Map Owned by John Hollings. Occupied by Charles Asprey Beddoe.
1841     Edward Hankins 30 Solicitor. .
1851     James Roberts 35 Bank Manager.
1861     George Upward 32 Bankers Accountant.
1881     Eliza Raymond 71 Income from Dividends.
1901     George W Suter 33 Draper Shopkeeper.
From 1910 Survey.   Occupier G W Suter. Owner G W Suter.
1911     George William Suter 44 Draper.
1903     Suter G W.
1922     Mrs Drew.
1934     Smith C E G.
1936     Mrs Drew.
1938     Mrs Hayes
1941     Mrs Osborne.
1942     Mrs Ellis.
1948     Murray J C.
1958     Hawkes H W G.
1978     Somers M H.
2002     Somers M H.
From Tithe Map.
Charles Asprey Beddoe (1801-1856) of Cleobury Mortimer, was a commercial traveller for the Worcester wine merchant
Joseph Stallard. In partnership with George Skipp of Ledbury as cider merchants, this partnership being dissolved in 1841.
He never married and must have been briefly in residence here when the Tithe Map Apportionments were listed probably in 1838.
Edward Hankins, born 1811, was the youngest son of Thomas Hankins of the Green House, Dymock. (This house was later called Skinners and is now demolished.) Appointed Master extraordinay in the High Court in
1833 he married Louisa Daniel in 1836. Their first four children, Louisa b Aug 1837, Edward b Feb 1839, Eugenia b May 1840 and Helen b Nov 1843 were all born in Southend Ledbury.
Their next three, Walter b May 1845, Richard Francis b May 1847 and Emma b March 1849 were born at Pounds Dymock followed by William b Oct 1850 and Frederick b Aug 1853 both in Newent.
Edward died in Newent in 1887 and Louisa in 1888.
James Roberts 35. From Boston in Lincolnshire, only in Ledbury for a short while. Has Edward Hill 24 from Herefordshire
and Elizabeth Hill 31 from Gloucestershire as servants.
George Upward 32. From Newport in the Isle of Wight, he has Sarah Taylor, 28, from Ledbury as a servant.
Married Mary Allen in Hackney in June 1861 and had a son, George in Worcester in 1863.
Eliza Raymond b 1829 in London seems to have no connection with Ledbury.
She is here with Eliza Morgan 17 from Ledbury and Ernest Blake 14 from Castelmorton.
1901 and 1911
George William Suter born in Ledbury in 1868 married Elizabeth Fisher b 1873 from Bromsgrove in 1894.
They had George Arthur on March 12th 1895, William Clarence in March 6th 1896, (Address given as Southend)
Winifred Elizabeth on May 6th 1898, Frank Cyril on July 13th 1901 and John Dack on Oct 11th 1907 all in Ledbury.
George had a milliners shop at No 5 High Street.
Much, much more on the Suter family and business in Ledbury can be found on
the Suter family website.
The Suter family were here until 1919.