Tithe Map Plot No 283.
A Grade 2 Listed Building. (Listing is for Nos 39 and 40).
Early C19. Red Brick. Slate hipped roof. 2 storeys. 5 windows.
Sashes with glazing bars and margin panes, and voussoired lintels with keyblock.
Built by William Juckes between 1827 and 1839.
This house is associated with the Allen name from 1838 to sometime between 1851 and 1861. Probably still owned by the
Juckes who reappear here in 1891 when it became a Boarding House which it remained until well into the C20.
From 1839 Tithe Map
Owned by William Juckes. Occupied by John Allen and himself. (Refers to Nos 39 and 40)
Ann Peakman 60 Independent.
John Averill 43 Minister of the Independent Chapel.
Jesse Hughes 63 Clerk to the Ledbury Union.
John R Smith 21 Bank Clerk & Landowner.
John Lovell 42 Bankers Accountant.
Letitia Juckes 63 Boarding House Keeper.
Sarah Roscoe 60.
From 1910 Survey
Occupant Sarah Roscoe. Owner Mr E Marsh. (see No 40)
Sarah Roscoe 95 Boarding House Keeper.
Miss E M Philpott.
Thomas R C.
Tithe Map and 1841
John Allen, b 1802 in Worcester married Sarah Butler in Worcester in 1833.
They had Mary Elizabeth in 1830, well, that is what the records show! Sarah died in July 1836.
John remarried Mary Warne in Newent in 1838, his address at the time given as Southend, Ledbury.
They had John in 1839 and Henrietta Maria in 1843 both in Newent.
John and his new family are in Newent in 1841, Mary Elizabeth, daughter by his first wife is in No 39 with Ann
Peakman, 60, Grandmother, but in 1851 the family are all together in Bridge St. Newent.
Ann Peakman died in Bridge St. Newent in 1857 aged 93 and
John's wife Mary died in Newent in 1859. In 1871 John and his two unmarried daughters are in Cheltenham where he died in 1881.
The household consists of John Averill, 43 b Kings Bromley Staffordshire in 1808, his wife Caroline b 1809 in Devon, daughter Caroline Beard (Averill)
b 1833 in Bodmin, Elizabeth Potts, sister in law, unmarried b 1807 in Kent and a niece.
John married Caroline Potts sometime before 1833, I cannot find a marriage. Caroline b 1833 was the only child.
Moving around, as Chapel ministers seem to do, he was in Bodmin in 1833, when Caroline was born, Ledbury in 1851, Clevedon in 1861, Teignmouth in 1871 and Kenton in Devon in 1881. His wife Caroline died in Newton Abbot in 1893 and John died there in 1894.
Jesse Hughes was born 1798 in Gloucester, he was appointed Clerk to the Ledbury Union before 1841.
He married Anne, b 1814, there were no children.
He retired to Marshfield, where his wife came from, by 1871 and died there in 1873.
From the Worcester Journal May 2nd 1868.
TESTIMONIAL TO MR. J HUGHES:
On Tuesday a meeting of the subscribers to the above was held at the Feathers Hotel when the Rev. John Hopton,
on their behalf, presented to Mr. Jesse Hughes, late clerk to the Board of Guardians of the Ledbury Union,
with a purse of money (£26.5s.), together with a very handsomely chased silver cup on which was inscribed:
'This cup, with a purse of sovereigns and an address, was presented by a few friends,
as a token of regard and esteem, to Mr. Jesse Hughes on his retirement from the clerkship of
the Ledbury Union, April 28th 1868.'
John Richard Smith was baptised March 13th 1850 to Thomas of Bodenham Farm Much Marcle and Anne.
Thomas died in 1866.
John is in a school at the top of Homend (probably Oakland School) in 1861 and in No 39 Southend with his young sister,
Florence, 11, in 1871.
He married Charlotte Mary Griffin in Ledbury in 1876. They had:
Annie Charlotte in 1877.
Thomas Hensley in 1879.
Richard Curtis in 1883.
William Charles in 1884.
Ernest Henry in 1886.
Arthur John in 1888.
All in Southend Parade.
By 1891 they have moved to Yardley Solihull.
For more on John Lovell see No 241891
Letitia Juckes (nee Young), born 1828, married Francis William Juckes of Ledbury in Bedford in 1854.
For more on the Juckes see the Potted Biography page.
Francis died in 1885 and Letitia is here as a widow in 1891. In 1901 she is with her daughter, Edith b 1861
(now Kelly) in Weston S Mare, by 1911 they had moved to Knowle, Bristol, where she died in 1912.
The Ruscoe name is associated with No 39 from sometime before 1898 until 1955 so although not from Ledbury
the name must surely be remembered by some Ledburians.
William Ruscoe married Sarah Cato in 1858 in Berkhampstead.
Settling in Whitchurch Shropshire they
had Mary Eliza in 1859, Alice in 1861, Harriet in 1862, Clara Annie in 1863, Beatrice Sarah in 1864,
Sarah Cato in 1866, Julia Grace 1867, Eliza 1869. Sadly William died in 1870 aged just 42.
Moving to Ledbury by 1898 where she kept a boarding house Sarah died in Ledbury in 1921 aged 86. Her daughter,
Alice kept the house until her death in 1855 aged 94. Sarah's first daughter Mary Eliza has a short and sad
link with Ledbury.
From the Hereford Journal May 20th 1905.
OBITUARY: We regret to have to record the death of Mrs Mary Eliza Yoxson which occurred on
Saturday afternoon last shortly after two o'clock at the residence of her mother, Mrs. Sarah Ruscoe,
The Southend, Ledbury at the age of 45. Deceased, who was well known to many of our readers as Miss Ruscoe,
was for over seven years supervising clerk at Ledbury Post Office, in which position she was held in the highest
esteem by the public on well as the department. She left Ledbury rather over four years ago to take up the appointment
of subpostmistress of Filey, near Scarborough, and before leaving was the recipient of a handsome present from the
Ledbury Post Office staff. After being at Filey about two years she was married to Mr. Edmund S. Yoxson
of Liverpool but sad to relate he only lived till the 15th October last. This was a terrible blow to Mrs.
Yoxson, whose health in nursing him had become affected. She came to Ledbury for a rest but this was extended to
five weeks on account of her state of health. She returned to Filey to resume duties. but she became ill again,
and returned to Ledbury for another change in February. Consumption had claimed her as a victim, and she was
wheeled about in a bath chair. She gradually got weaker, and passed away as above stated.