Tithe Map Plot No 283.
A Grade 2 Listed Building. (Listing is for Nos 39 and 40).
Early C19. Red Brick. Slate hipped roof. 2 storeys. 5 windows.
Sashes with glazing bars and margin panes, and voussoired lintels with keyblock.
Built by William Juckes between 1827 and 1839.
Now known as The Old Presbytery.
Of all the houses William Juckes built, and he was fond of living in houses he had recently built, this seems to have been his favourite. He lived here intermittently from 1841 until his death
in 1864. A local doctor,Robert Tanner then lived here from 1867 probably until his wife died in 1872. William Juckes' son Francis was then here until his death on July 18th 1885..
From Tithe Map
Owned by William Juckes. Occupied by John Allen and himself. (Refers to Nos 39 and 40).
William Juckes 46 Builder.
William Juckes 56 Builder.
William Juckes 66 Builder employing 2 men.
Robert Tanner 39 General Practitioner.
Francis Juckes, 59 Builder.
John Richards 84 Retired Primitive Methodist Minister.
John Lucy 24 Solicitor.
From the 1910 Survey
Occupier: E F Marsh. Owner: W F Evans.
Evans W F.
Flowers A E.
Goatman Rev. A E.
McAndrew Rev. D.
Belt Rev. J.
Featherstone Rev. J
Boyle Rev. J.
Daniels Rev. G.
Bunyan Rev. T.
Jackson Mrs I.M.
William Juckes b Ledbury February 1795 to William and Sarah.
He married Susanna Russell in 1821, she died in 1832 in the Southend.
More on the Juckes in Potted Biographies.
Robert Tanner b 1839, son of John Tanner MD of Gloucester House, qualified as a doctor in 1860.
He married Harriett Emily Higgins b 1841 in Bromesberrow on Sep 8th 1865. His father, John, died in 1866 and
Gloucester House was up for sale in November of that year so it is probable that Robert moved to No 40 in 1867.
Robert and Harriett had Robert John in 1865, Margaret Emily in 1867, and Frances Elizabeth in 1869.
Frances died in 1869 and Harriett in 1872 aged just 31. After this I can find no records.
Francis Juckes b 1826 was the only surviving son of William and Susannah, their first dying in infancy.
He married Letitia Young in 1854. For more see No 39 and Potted Biographies.
John Richards, a Primitive Methodist Preacher, b 1807 in Oswestry married Jane Maundrell in Gloucester in 1858.
They had John Theodore b Ledbury 1859, Leonard Henry b 1862 and Clara Beatrice b 1864 both in Woolhope.
Jane died in Ledbury in 1878, John, also in Ledbury in 1892.
From this it seems that John senior was in Ledbury in 1859 and again in Ledbury from 1878
(although I cannot find him in 1881) to 1892.
From the Non Conformist section of the Cemetery:
In loving memory of Jane wife of John Richards who died Feb 10 1878 aged 53 years.
And of John Richards, formerly of Woolhope, who died at Ledbury June 24 1892 aged 85 years.
Also of John Theodore eldest son of the above died Feb 15 1915 aged 55 years.
John Lucy of Worcester, b 1847 married Elizabeth Ann Amos, b March Cambridgshire in 1853, in September 1874 in
They had John Puckmore in 1875, Elizabeth Annie b 1876 and Florence Dora b 1878 and Frank in
1879 all in Southends Lane House (off Culver Street) Newent.
In Newent in 1881,
John is in Ledbury in Horse Lane as a boarder in 1891 and he and his daughter Elizabeth are in No 40 in 1901, what happened to Elizabeth is a mystery.
John Puckmore moved to Kenya by 1905 he died there in 1950.
Elizabeth Annie married Archibald Augustus Atkins, in about 1903, moved to Reading and died in 1967.
Florence Dora married George Philip de Faye in Ledbury in 1902 and moved to Surrey, died 1973 in Gosport.
George Philip de Faye, bank clerk from Jersey, is a boarder in No 39, Sarah Ruscoe's house in 1901.
All does not seem to be well with John Lucy. The Gloucestershire Chronicle of October 14th 1882
records a case involving some land in Dymock in which he is defendant, he is referred to as 'formerly
practising as a solicitor in Newent'.
Most solicitors appear regularly in
the newspapers being involved in court cases, land sales etc. but this is not the case with John Lucy.
Consider that his wife seems to disappear between 1881 and 1891, he is on his own in 1891 and only daughter
Elizabeth is with him in 1901. Florence is in Cheltenham as a visitor to an unrelated household in 1901, I can't find John Puckmore, perhaps he is already in Kenya.
He did not give his daughter Florence away in 1902 and left his money only to Elizabeth
the daughter who seems to be closest to him. He died on May 17th 1904 in Little
Hampton near Evesham leaving £726 to his daughter Elizabeth(Atkins).
From the Hereford Journal July 19th 1902.
Marriage of Miss Lucy:
1904 to 1910
On Monday Mr George Philip de Faye, youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas de Faye
of Fontenay Lodge, George Town, Jersey, was married to Miss Florence Dora, youngest daughter of Mr John Lucy,
solicitor, Willow Place, Southend, Ledbury.
The service was fully choral. As the bridal party entered
the church Mr Tom Woodward played "The Bridal March" from Lohengrin. The bride, who was given away by Mr J. Stallard,
of Worcester, was attended by four bridesmaids: Miss Nancy Lucy (sister), Miss Florence de Faye and Miss Ethel de Faye
(sisters of the bridegroom) and Miss Mabel Atkins. The bride was charmingly attired in a dress of brocaded silk,
trimmed with embroidered chiffon, trails of orange blossom and myrtle, with a full court train, and she wore a
veil and a wreath of orange blossom. She carried a shower bouquet the gift of the bridegroom. The bridesmaids'
dresses were composed of Paris coloured spotted muslin trimmed with lace, ruby velvet roses, and tucked chiffon,
and each wore a picture hat of sunburn coloured straw, trimmed with sprays of red roses and lace,and gold fly brooches
of rubies and pearls, the gifts of the bridegroom. Their baskets of cream and crimson roses were also his gift.
The officiating clergy were the Rev. Canon R Horton of Dymock, and the Rev. C.B. Caldicott, M.A. of Ledbury.
The honeymoon will be spent at Eastbourne. The bride's travelling dress was composed of silver grey silk crepoline,
lined with sea green silk and trimmed with lace silk and spotted net, and her hat was of tucked sea green silk with
white pearl straw, trimmed with white ostrich feather and black roses.
W F Evans is the occupant in 1904.
William Francis Evans, born 1869 in Hackney married Ethel Gertrude E. Marsh in Ross in September quarter 1895.
Francis Claud Marsh in 1897 in Portsmouth.
Mary Kathleen in 1903 in Ledbury.
Edgar David in 1906 in Ledbury.
Doris Muriel in 1908 in Ledbury.
Molly Patricia in 1909 in Southsea (Portsmouth).
A General House Furnisher in New Street in 1901 he moved to the Southend by 1904 and was there until about 1907 when he moved to Southsea, Portsmouth.
From the 1910 survey he is the owner of Nos 40 to 44 (41 to 44 being Willow Terrace).
The occupant in 1910 is E F Marsh.
Edgar Fairburn Edward Marsh, born 1880, was the brother of Ethel Gertrude Marsh (see above). He married Annie Eliza Cato in Tring Hertfordshire in 1909. They had:
Joan Cato (Marsh) in No 40 Southend Ledbury in 1909.
George Fairburn in Ledbury in 2 Beulah Villa The Homend Ledbury in 1912.
Richard Edgar in Ledbury in 1913
Described as a coal agent he is living in Beulah Villa in the 1911 census.
In No 40 the Southend in 1909 and 1910 he was in business as Marsh, Baker & Smith in the yard between Willow Terrace and No 40 Southend in what is now Southend Mews.
Evidently he mislaid his shotgun. From the Gloucester Citizen July 6th 1912:
INFORMATION Required as to the whereabouts of a Double barrelled Muzzle loader GUN, with the inscription on barrel
"E F Marsh's Tickle breeches". Particulars to E.F. Marsh, Ledbury.
Google has no information on Tickle Breeches!
He died in Cheshire in 1963.