No 8.

A Grade 2 Listed Building.
C18. Stuccoed. Tiled roof with gabled ends. 3 storeys. 1 window. 2-light casement with cambered heads. Ground floor good early C19 shop front with fluted pilasters, entablature with wide cornice, 2 canted shop windows and central glazed and panelled door with rectangular fanlight.

No





Another shop front from the 1800's Ledbury should be proud of and used by a currier until 1861.




In 1881 you could buy your poultry here from Harriet Clarke and in 1891 revive yourself with a cup of coffee


In 1901 it was a bakers, later just a shop, presumably selling everything before becoming a boot and shoe shop until 1980.


It is now a dental surgery.







From Tithe Map Owner Robert Slade. Occupiers Henry Denton and Benjamin Rea.

1841    Henry Denton 41, Currier.

1851    William Denton 27, Currier Master.

1861    William Denton 37, Currier.

1871    Walter Davis.

1881    Harriet Clarke 39, Poultry Seller.

1891    Richard Gravenor 76, Coffee House Keeper.

1901    James Drinkwater 37,Baker and Breadmaker.

From 1910 Survey   Occupier Brown J. Owner Miss Baggott Homend St.

1911    Jane Brown 52, General Shopkeeper.

Ex Tilleys.

1903    Drinkwater J Shopkeeper.

1906    Mrs Brown Shopkeeper.

1921    Willett A L Shopkeeper.

1926    Merritt Boot Repairer.

1945    Cale J H Boot Repairer.

1980    Marshalls Shoes.

1981    Chapmans Dentist.

2002    Chapmans Dentist.


More Info.

In 1841 Henry Denton, 41 Currier is living in No 8 with his wife Mary 43. He married Mary Ann Saunders in Ledbury in April 1823.
They had William in 1824 in New Street and Henry in 1828 also in New Street
He died in 1847 aged just 46, Mary died in 1848.
Son William, now 24, took over the business and is here in 1851 with his wife Elizabeth. He married Elizabeth Reynolds in June 1850 in Ledbury.
They had Elizabeth Ann in 1855 in the Southend, William in 1859 and Edith in 1861. All are in No 8 in 1861
William died in 1867 aged 43 and Elizabeth in 1868 both in Ledbury.(Now orphans, Elizabeth, William and Edith are at No 7 in 1871.)

No 8 was taken over before 1871 as in that year John Brown 43, a Tailor and Woollen Draper is in occupation with his wife Ann 39, daughter Mary 15 and son Frank Henry 7.
He died in 1872 aged 43. No 8 seems to be an unhealthy place to live! He married Ann Butt in September 1854 his address given as Southend Street, Occupation, Tailor, he can be found in No 9 in 1861.

In 1881 Harriet Clarke is living with son George and George Truman 79, her father. George Truman died in Ledbury in 1886.
Harriet married James Clarke, a butcher, in 1871 is with him in the Homend in that year. A son George James was born in 1872.
Her husband, James, is with his father Adam, also a butcher, in 1881 living in No 2 Broadfield Villa Colwall

An interesting change of use by 1891 when Richard Gravenor, 58, a retired farmer from Hereford, is a Coffee House Keeper. He is here with his wife Elizabeth 60, and daughters Emma Elizabeth 26 and Sarah Ann 25, all born in Herefordshire. Elizabeth died in Ledbury in 1898, Richard in 1908 in Hereford (District).

In 1901 James Drinkwater, 37, was a Baker and Bread maker in No 8.
Born in 1864 in Ross he was a son of Edwin Drinkwater, a Farrier in the Homend in 1871.
James married Myrtle Gurney in Bromyard in 1890 they had:
Mabel in 1891 in Back Lane
Oswald in 1893 in South Parade
Arthur in 1897 in Southend.

In 1911 James is in Worcester Road still a Baker, Myrtle died in 1913 at 1 Worcester Road, presumably this is where the bakers shop was.
In 1939 son Oswald was a Baker at '1 Bakery Worcester Road'.

1911 sees Jane Brown 52, a widow, as a General Shop Keeper (she was there in 1906).
As Jane Jones she married William Henry Brown in 1882 and, living in Albert Road in 1891 where William is an Ironmongers Porter, they had:
Harry James in 1883.
Charles in 1885.
Arthur in 1886.
Fanny in 1889.
William died in 1898.
With Jane in No 8 in 1911 were daughter Fanny 22 and Edith Amy Rebecca 24, daughter in law.

1926 Electoral Register    Merritt Marian Ellen, Bacon Eric James.