Rural Tithe Map Plot No 1423 .
A Grade 2 Listed Building.
Red brick toll cottage of circa 1840 encasing a probably C17 timber framed structure,
the timber framing exposed on north end. Tiled roof with gable ends. 1 storey
and attic. 1 window wide. Ground floor 4-centred arched doorway with carved tympanum
and door with vertical cover moulds, and 2-light casement with glazing bars with
lintel and quoins, large attic gabled dormer with casement. Diagonally set brick
chimney stack. Ornate crested ridge tiles.
Establishing who was in the Toll House in the census years has not been easy.
I have assumed it is always next door to Gloucester House which is easily identified.
This certainly works in 1851 when Robert Gammage was a Gatekeeper and in 1891 when Ann Cale is there and fortunately
stays there until Tilley's listing starts in 1903 when the cottage is identified.
From Tithe Map
Ann Chadwick 50.
Robert Gammage 50 Tailor and Gatekeeper.
John Tustin 49 Domestic Gardener.
Henry Poytress 42 Butcher.
Ann Cale 45 Dressmaker.
Annie Cale 55 Dressmaker.
From the 1910 Survey
Occupier: Harrison Dr. J Mc.K. Owner: Execrs of W. Masefield.
Arthur John Brown 25 Oil Dealer.
Ex 1922 Electoral Register:
Hollings Francis Ellen Gloucester Cottage
Hollings William Gloucester Cottage.
Cale Miss .
Lane A .
Bradley W .
Morris Miss Glos House Lodge.
Harrington Mrs Glos House Lodge.
Morris Miss Glos House Lodge.
Morris Miss Glos House Cottage.
From about 1976 there is not even a listing.
Ann Chadwick is recorded as Head of Household with Simon recorded seperately but
Simon Chadwick b 1783 in Cirencester married Ann of Ledbury b c 1790 around 1808. They had:
Ann in Oct 1809 in Dymock.
Helen in 1811 in Dymock.
Eliza in 1813 in New Street Ledbury.
Mary Ann in 1815 in New Street Ledbury.
Elizabeth in 1819 in New Street Ledbury.
Simon in 1822 in New Street Ledbury.
It is fortunate, for us, that this Simon died in 1829 his address at the time given as Southend so it is highly probable that the Chadwicks were in the Toll House
from sometime before 1829 until after 1841.
Simon and Ann are together in the High St in 1851.
Simon (senior) died in 1858,
Ann is in the Almshouses in 1861 with daughter Ann (b 1910) and died there in 1867.
Two of the girls lives can be followed:
Mary Ann Chadwick married Joseph Simmons in 1833 in Ledbuy and Mary Ann married William Humphriess
in 1838. She was a laundress and he a gardener in Parkway. Woodlands perhaps?
In 1851 Robert Gammage states he is a Tailor and Gate Keeper.
Born in York in 1801 he is married to Ann born in Ledbury or Munsley. No children recorded.
He died in 1857, his address at the time given as Homend Turnpike House, Ann died in 1861.
John Tustin b 1812 in Ledbury married Maria Taylor of Ledbury on July 24th 1831.
In Bishop St (Bye Street) they had:
Elizabeth baptised on August 31st 1831 Hmmm.>br>
Ann Maria in 1834.
Ann in 1836.
Elizabeth married Frederick Smith in March 1856 the bride's residence given as Southend Street showing that John and Maria were in the Toll House at that time.
They had Clara Maria baptised on Nov 2nd 1856 and Frederick James in 1865.
Henry Poytress b 1829 in Gloucester,married Caroline Pritchard, b 1830, in 1869 in Chepstow.
They seem to disappear from 1881 on but Caroline died in Gloucester in 1915, Henry in 1921.
1891 and 1901
William Cale, a master mason of Bye street married Harriet Bradford in Ledbury on Nov 8th 1835. They had:
Richard in 1836.
Hannah in 1838.
Sarah in 1840.
Harriet Jane in 1843.
Ann in 1846. This is the Ann(ie) in the Toll House.
Elizabeth in 1848.
Harriet senior died in 1869, Annie now 25, is a dressmaker looking after her father and two brothers in 1871. William died in St Catherine's in 1892.
Annie, who now has to be independent, appears in what was called Gloucester Cottage at that time from 1891 to her death in 1906.
Arthur John Brown, b 1886, was the third son of William Henry b 1861, an Ironmongers Porter of Albert Road, Ledbury and his wife Jane.
Arthur was briefly in the army from February 13th to July 3rd 1905 discharged as an invalid. Married Nellie b 1883 from Marylebone in 1908.
For more on the Toll House click here