1929 Aerial image

New Street in 1929.

No 2

No 2 New St

A Grade 2* listed Building.

Circa 1600.Timber framed, now roughcast. Tiled roof. 1 gable with moulded barge boards and pendants (pendants now missing). Top floor projects on corbelled posts. 3 storeys. 1 windows. 1st and 2nd floor sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor projecting early C19 8 light shop window with wide cornice and glazed and panelled door with bared rectangular fanlight.

Obviously the roughcast has been removed after the listing date of 1953. A great improvement.

part of Tithe map

Plot 256 described as Houses and Land on the 1839 Tithe Map Apportionment and owned by John Ford, who also owns No 1 Southend, and occupied by James Badcock.

The plot shown obviously includes Nos 4 ,6 & 8. More on this later.

Described as a Haberdasher, James Badcock b 1801 is here in the 1841 census with his wife Ann and five children. He died in 1842 and Ann moved just round the corner into No 1 Southend. The rest of her story can be found here.

Occupants in later censuses are shown here:

Year of Census. Occupier. Birthplace
1851 J C Crump 27 Tailor Droitwich
1861 John Grubham 60 Tailor Marston
1871 John Bishop 26 Watchmaker Ledbury
1881 William Hampton Wiltshire
1891 Unoccupied
1901 William Hampton St Albans Herts.
1911 William Hampton Eastnor

1851: John Crump, a tailor from Droitwich b 1824, married Esther Chadd in c 1848. They had Ensor in 1849 and Frederica in 1850 in Droitwich and Agnes born in Ledbury in 1852. They moved to Powick by 1857.

1861: John Grubham a tailor b 1801 in Marston (Herefordshire) married Jane Parrey (b Hereford 1805) in 1824. Known children are Emily in 1825, Frances in 1827, Thomas in 1840.

1871: John Bishop, a watchmaker, b 1845 in Worcester married Hannah Juckes (b 1835) of Ledbury in 1867. They had:
Herbert John in 1868.
Maud Mary in 1869.
Robert in 1871.
Arthur Juckes in 1872.
Hannah in 1874.
Winifred in 1875.
George in 1877.

By 1881 he is on the other side of the road at No 11 (see North side of Bye Street).

1881 through to 1911: William Hampton

William, senior and junior, occupied the whole of the black and white corner house i.e. including No 1 Southend and their story can also be found

1921 Occupants in this census are:
Frederick John Morgan 69 Watchmaker.
Mary Ann Morgan 70.
Nancy Morgan 25.
For more on them see No 18 below.

Later entries from Tilley's are:

1921 F J Morgan Watchmaker.
1932 Lewis' Drug Store.
1982 Brambles Wool Shop.

No 4

No 4 New St

A Grade 2* listed Building.
Circa 1600. Timber framed. Possibly one building with No 2. Roughcast. 2 storeys and attic. Top floor projects. Modern 5 light casement window on 1st floor. No attic window. Projecting early C19 shop window with wide cornice. Old tile roof.

part of Tithe map

Part of Plot 256 on the Tithe map shows this was part of the several houses owned by John Ford and occupied by Joseph Hodges, he is here in 1841.

Joseph Hodges, a baker and tea dealer, born 1801 in Dymock, married Sarah Dunn, b Gloucester 1804, in 1827.
They had:
Mary in 1831 in Gloucester.
Joseph in 1833 in Gloucester.
Thomas in 1835 in Ledbury.
Sarah in 1837, in Ledbury.
Elizabeth in 1839 in Ledbury.
Emma in 1842 in Ledbury.
Ellen in 1843 in Ledbury.
Fanny in 1846 in Ledbury.

Still here in 1871 with just Emma and Ellen, both described as Assistant Confectioners.
Fanny married Joseph Butler, gunsmith, in 1861, Emma married Charles Philemon Ford in 1872 (for more on him click
Sarah died in 1876, in 1881 Joseph is in a small cottage in the Vine Tree yard with daughter Ellen. He died in 1884, Ellen in 1894.

They are buried in the cemetery the epitaph reads:

In memory of Joseph Hodges of New Street Ledbury who died February 15th 1884 aged 83. In memory of Sarah Hodges beloved wife of Joseph Hodges of New Street Ledbury who departed this life June 15th 1876 aged 74 years. Also of Ellen Hodges daughter who died Jan 19th 1894 aged 50 years. Also of Elizabeth BAKER daughter who died Dec 15th 1883 aged 44 years.

Charles and Emma Ford take over the bakery, Emma died in 1895 after which just Charles and his daughter, Minnie, carry on the business.
He died in 1924 and Minnie in 1936 ending at least 100 years ownership in the same family.
NB He is shown as the owner of the property on the 1910 survey, inherited no doubt from his father John who owned it and more in 1839.

Some later occupants from Tilley's:

1939 H Bebbington Ticket Writer.
1943 F Thomas Radio Supplies.
1953 Kendall's Lingerie Shop.
1960 Lacy W.J. Ltd Radio Television.
1962 Hastelow's travel bureau office Wm Blake & Sons Ltd office.
1971 J Baker Boot & Shoe Repairs.
1986 RJ's Restaurant.
1993 Essence of India.
2002 Kendall W J C & Co.

No 6

No 6 New St

NB. Nos 6 & 8 are listed as one.

A Grade 2 listed Building.
C18 front to earlier timber framed structure. Painted brick. Brick dentil eaves. 2 storeys. 6 windows (1 blocked). 2 and 3 light casements, 1 sash with cambered head. No 6 has modern shop front and No 8 Victorian shop of 12 lights and moulded cornice. Round arched passageway to left. Old tile roof with gable ends.

part of Tithe map

Part of Plot 256 on the Tithe map shows this was part of the several houses owned by John Ford and occupied by William Scattergood, he is here in 1841.

William Scattergood b 1793 in Netherseal Leicestershire married Mary Allen in 1818. They had:
John in 1822. Sarah in 1823. William in 1825. Thomas in 1829 Mary in 1831. Martha in 1833. David in 1835. Daniel in 1837.

None of these children were Ledbury born but most got married in Ledbury:

John, a glass and china dealer like his father, married Sarah Hawe Grey of Horse Lane (Worcester St) in 1842.
Sarah married William Knowles a coal merchant of Bye St in 1845.
William, a brazier, married Mary Elizabeth Jones of Bradlow in 1847. (see also No 8 below)
Thomas, a hairdresser, married Catherine Hodges of Church Lane in 1849.
Martha married Jonathon Powell of London in 1858.

High St Ad

Although William is in No 6 in 1841 by 1850 he is in bigger premises in the High St. as this advert from the Hereford Times dated January 5th 1850 shows and his son Thomas, a hairdresser, is in No 6.
The High Street venture was not evidently a success as by 1861 William is back in No 6. He died in 1862.

In 1871 William Hatton is in occupation.
Born in Ledbury in 1844 William Henry Hatton, a plumber, married Hannah Jackson, b 1845, in June 1870.
They had Kate Hannah in 1871, Ada Elizabeth in 1873 and Alfred William in 1879 Alfred married Winifred Dawe of Hazle Farm in 1908.
The family moved across the road to No 15 by 1881 (for more click
here.). William died in 1902, Hannah in 1914.

Unoccupied in 1881, it was occupied by Andrew Bosley in 1891

Born in 1828 Andrew Bosley moved here from Bye St via High St by 1891.
A blacksmith,he married Ann Jones in 1855. They had Priscilla Ann in 1857 and Sarah Ann in 1861.
Ann died in 1892, Andrew in 1898. Sarah Ann died in the Southend in 1922. All events in Ledbury.

Unoccupied in 1901 No 6 was owned by Mrs Lane of The Farm Bosbury in 1910 and occupied by Pope Smith & Anthony, Auctioneers.

As Pope & Smith later C T & G H Smith they were here until 1957 when they moved to Lanark House on the other side of the road. Later occupants from Tilley's are:
1960 Cosy Tea Room.
1970 Edie's Cafe.
1973 Sue's Cafe.
1975 Ledbury Fine Art & Various Offices.
1980 Ledbury Record Centre.
1989 Opticians.
2002 Opticians.

No 8

No 8 New St

NB. Nos 6 & 8 are listed as one. With a listing date of 1976 the dormer windows in No 8 would have been added after the listing.

A Grade 2 listed Building.
C18 front to earlier timber framed structure. Painted brick. Brick dentil eaves. 2 storeys. 6 windows (1 blocked). 2 and 3 light casements, 1 sash with cambered head. No 6 has modern shop front and No 8 Victorian shop of 12 lights and moulded cornice. Round arched passageway to left. Old tile roof with gable ends.

part of Tithe map

Part of Plot 256 on the Tithe map shows this was part of the several houses owned by John Ford and occupied by Mary Hawkins.

Henry Hawkins, 50 a brazier, is here in 1841. He was presumably Mary's husband but I can find nothing about them. He was not from Ledbury and must have died in about 1846:


In 1851 William Scattergood, b 1825 a brazier at the time of his marrige in 1847 now a 'Furnishing Ironmonger' is here with his wife Mary Elizabeth. Still here in 1861, back to being a brazier, and with a daughter Emily Mary born in 1856.
He died in 1862, Emily in 1878, aged just 22, and Mary in 1891.

John Davies b 1839 is here with his sister, Harriet, b 1844, in 1871 he married Jane Price on August 20th 1871.
They had Isabel in 1874 and Alice M in 1877 and the family is in the High St in 1881 and 1891.
Jane died in 1897 and John, still listed as Ironmonger shopkeeper in the High St in 1901, died in 1908.

John Ford, the owner of the above properties died in and the shops were sold:
From the Worcester Herald 21st June 1879:
FREEHOLD RESIDENCES, BUSINESS PREMISES, SHOPS, COTTAGES, and BUILDING LAND, situate in NEW STREET being part of the property of the late Mr. JOHN FORD, deceased.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY MR. TOM HODGES, On Thursday, June, 1879, AT THE FEATHERS HOTEL, LEDBURY, At four o'clock in the afternoon, subject conditions, in the undermentioned Lots, or such other Lots as may be agreed upon at the time of Sale.
LOT 1 All those desirable FREEHOLD BUSINESS PREMISES, being No. 2, NEW STREET, LEDBURY, comprising excellent Shop, Bakehouse, Flour Lofts, convenient House, Yard, Stabling with Loft over, in the occupation of Joseph Hodges, senior, Baker.
LOT 2. All those TWO substantially built BUSINESS PREMISES, being No. 3 and No. 4, NEW STREET, LEDBURY, lately let as two separate business Premises, together with the Warehouse and Shop belonging thereto, now in the occupation of Mr. John Davies, Ironmonger and Brazier.
This Lot comprises two well arranged Houses with Shops; No. 4, having excellent Plate Glass Front, the whole commanding a frontage of 48 feet to New street. There is a Road to the back workshops, with Store-room over.
Lots 1 and 2 are to have right to the Passage between these Lots in common with the Owners and occupiers of other property at the end thereof. The Rooms over the Passage belong to Lot 2.

NB the house numbering in the sale particulars does not refer to the house numbering today which was established in the early 1900s. The sale is of Nos 4, 6 & 8.

In 1881 John Cox is here. His story is comprehensively covered in the 'The Trehernes of Ledbury' and there is no need to repeat it here. Click
here. to read.

Unoccupied in 1891 and 1901, it was owned by Mrs Lane (see No6) and occupied by Ford & Sons, saddlers. For more on them click
They were here until 1954 when still a saddlers it became Jennings & Co. until 1976.
Later occupants from Tilley's are:
1977 Payne Antiques.
1980 Alliance Building Society.
1989 Antiques.
2002 CBS News.

No 10

No 10 New St

part of Tithe map

This image shows the building as it is today. Unfortunately the original building was replaced in 1877, more on this later.

Plot 255 on the Tithe map. The Apportionment shows this was owned and occupied by Joseph Higgins. Elizabeth Higgins is here in 1841.

Elizabeth was born in 1777 the sister of the Rev. Joseph Higgins of Eastnor, the owner, she died on February 18th 1847.

1851: John Maddox, a sawyer, b 1823 is here. He married Eliza Matthews of Ledbury in Ledbury in 1845, he died in 1859. Eliza, now a widow, is still here in 1861, she died in 1863.

From the Hereford Journal June 29th 1859.
Fatal Accident at Ledbury.
H Underwood Esq. coroner, held inquest at Ledbury, on Saturday on the body of John Maddox, labourer, who met his death under the circumstances detailed in the following evidence.
William Lewis deposed : I am working with Mr. Robert Jones's portable thrashing machine , he lives in Southend-street, Ledbury.
On Friday last about 2 p.m., the deceased and myself went to bring the machine from Mr. South's of Michell, in the parish of Ledbury. We started with the machine with one horse and Mr South's waggoner took us to the top the first hill with two horses.
Before we descended the hill I wanted to tie the wheel ; the deceased said "no, it is all right" and with that he drove on. The machine overrun the horse, the horse was a young horse.
The horse and machine ran about 100 yards when the wheel went against a heap and the machine was overset.
This caused the deceased to be thrown against the bank. When I got to him (I ran as fast as I could) I found him insensible. There was no blood on the ground, a little flowed from his mouth and from his nose.
I ran directly to Mr. Tanner he was not home, and I then went for Mr. Lewis, he was at home. I went back to the deceased, he was then dead. I was not tipsy, nor was the deceased.
I have been only this one occasion with the deceased he was a married man, but has left no family, he was 36 years of age.
Mr. C. F. Lewis, surgeon, of Ledbury, was called to the place, but found the poor fellow dead, with his skull fractured, and the whole of his left side crushed in.
Verdict in accordance with the evidence.

Thomas Chadd, 76 and 'In Charge of Offices' is here in 1871. I suspect he was a caretaker!

Thomas Chadd b 1795 married Mary Washer b 1805 in 1832. From the 1851 census when they are next door to the Bradlow toll house, he is an Ag Lab, they had:

James b 1834.
Hannah b 1838.
Ann b 1841.
Harriet b 1844.
Martha b 1846.
Benjamin b 1849.

By 1861 when Thomas is a yeoman the family has shrunk to James, Harriett, Martha and Benjamin and by 1871 Thomas is with just his wife Mary and Benjamin. Thomas died in 1874 Mary in 1888.
Benjamin married Emma Rudge in Ledbury in 1883 and in 1891 they are living in a house near the Ring of Bells.

In 1877 No 10 became Ledbury's Post Office more about this can be found
This page shows that the original building was pulled down in 1903 to be replaced with that we see today. The Post Office was here until 1926. Later occupants from Tilley's are:
1932 Electricity Supply Co.
1950 to 1996 Midlands Electricity Board.
2002 Pound Shop.

No 12

No 12 New St

A Grade 2 listed Building.

Early C19 stuccoed front to earlier building. 3 storeys. 2 windows on slightly advanced centre. 2 light casements have replaced sashes. Projecting Victorian shop with moulded cornice and fascia over. Slate roof with gable ends.

part of Tithe map

Plot 254 on the Tithe map. Described as Houses and Yards (ie more than one) this was owned by Thomas Matthews and occupied by Himself, Samuel Nicholls and Samuel Pedlingham.

Samuel Pedlingham, a shoe maker b 1818 to William and Elizabeth of the Homend, married Elizabeth Taylor in 1838. They had William in 1840 in New Street.
By 1843 when Catherine was born they had moved to Church Street where they had 6 more children. He died there in 1900, Elizabeth in 1903.

Samuel Nicholas (aka Nicholls), b 1795, married Martha Williams in 1837, they had Mary in 1838 and Hannah in 1840 in New Street.
By 1844 they are in the Homend where William was born. Samuel died in 1853, all events in Ledbury. Martha died in Hereford in 1864.

In 1851 Henry G Oakley, b 1827 in London upholsterer, is head of household with Martha Oakley, 55 and George 21. Although I cannot find Henry's birth being with Martha and George he must be of the family who were in No 3 Southend in 1841, repeated from the Southend page here for convenience.
Thomas Oakley married Martha Goode in London on 21st December 1826, she was the youngest daughter of Mr John Goode of Sheer Glattt, Herefordshire. They had George in 1831, Olive in 1836 and Octavia in 1839. He died in 1848, a notice of his death is in the Worcestershire Chronicle of 20th December 1848. Dec 16th at Ledbury ,aged 49, Thomas Oakley upholsterer and brush manufacturer. The deceased has for many years been a highly respectable tradesman in the town.

Henry died in 1855 aged 28 and in 1861 his brother George and sister Olive are running the business in No 12, George being a cabinet maker. I cannot find out what happened to George but in 1881 and 1891 Olive is here on her own as a Furniture & carpet dealer. In 1901 she is in No 2 Argylle Villas in Newbury Park. She died in 1927.

The 1901 census lists:
William F Evans 32 General House Furnisher from London.
Wife Ethel 28 from Bristol.
Son Frances 4 born in Portsmouth.
They were not here long as by 1910 the shop (& No 10) is owned by Ada Higgins of Willsbridge House Near Bristol and occupied by Howard Smith.

The 1911 census shows:
Albert Howard Smith b 1865 in Wiltshire.
Wife Agnes Elizabeth b 1872 in Wolverhampton.
Daughter Hilda b 1901 also Wolverhampton.
Son Dennis b 1906 in Malvern and daughter Enid b 1908 also Malvern.

Smith Ad

He was here until 1928 after which the House Furnishing business changed hands to 'Valentine & Kaye' which lasted until 1930.

Later occupants from Tilleys are:
1932 Imperial Cafe.
1940 Imperial Cafe G Stamp.
1944 G Stamp Ltd. Bakers & Confectioners.
1975 Gorin & Co Tobacconists.
1989 Carpets.
2002 Red Cross Shop.

No 14 The Talbot

A Grade 2* listed Building.

Circa 1596, timber-framed. Tiled roofs. 2 storeys. Gabled on all fronts. Timber framed in front with close set studding and plastered infilling. Red brick at rear. A C17 addition along most of north front. To left of central bay 2 gables with close-set moulded studding with 2, 3 and 4-light casements. To right of stairs set back 2 gables with close set studding and 3 light ground floor casement. On far left end is an C18 painted brick gable with glazing bars and 1 attic casement, segmental brick arches, ground floor round arched panelled door and wide garage doors. At centre a large canted bay on 1st floor with hipped roof on heavy brackets. Outshut on right of this contains the stairs. The wall on inner side of stairs is timber framed with close set studding. Front door is very fine, flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature with strap work frieze. The door is ledged with pointed moulding near the top and moulded vertical ribs below. In left spandrel are the initials I F A, and on right the date 1600. Iron bar loop remains on inner side. The door when wide open closes the entrance to the stairs. Dining room on right hand has fine original late C16 panelling, 1 upright bearing the date 1596 and on west wall is a carved cornice and over mantle with arched panels with figures between. Dining room and upstairs have good stop chamfered beams and uprights with corbels.

The Talbot
part of Tithe map

Plot 253 on the Tithe map. Described as House and Yard, owned and occupied by William Norris,

Richard Callaway was the landlord from 1824 to 1834.
From Hereford Journal September 19 1860.
Callaway; Sept 10 at St Catherine's Hospital Ledbury in his 81st year, Mr Richard Callaway, formerly landlord of the Talbot Inn Ledbury.

Whether Richard Callaway owned it is not known but the 1839 Tithe map Apportionment shows the Talbot was owned and occupied by Wm. Norris and then;

From Hereford Times June 12th 1841.
Talbot Inn Ledbury Herefordshire TO BE LET OR SOLD With immediate possession The above convenient and old established INN which has been in full business for more than 150 years, with stabling sufficient to hold 80 horses. The whole of the stock to be taken at valuation For full particulars apply, if by letter, post paid, to Mr Wm. Norris the present occupier.

William Norris b 1773 married Mary ? in about 1803. They had 9 children from 1805 and 1816, including Thomas b 1811 and David b 1816, all born in Ledbury. William died in 1845, Mary in 1857.
From Hereford Times July 5th 1845;
(July)1st at his residence in New Street Ledbury, deeply deplored by his family, and respected and lamented by all who knew him, Mr William Norris, wire worker &c, formerly landlord of the Old Talbot Inn in that town. A better husband, father, friend and neighbour never fell a victim to death's unsparing hand.
He did not die in the Talbot Inn.

Thomas Prosser was the next landlord presumably from 1841 to 1850
From Hereford Times February 16th 1850:
The license of the Talbot Inn Ledbury was indorsed from Mr Thomas Prosser to Mr Thomas Norris.
Thomas Norris, b 1811, was the son of William Norris. He married Elizabeth King in 1844 in Ledbury. Unfortunately he died on June 18th 1851 at the Talbot Inn aged just 41.

A Mrs Mayo has the licence for a short time.
Hereford Times July 31st 1852.
Indorsment of License.
The Talbot Inn Ledbury from Mrs Mayo to Mr D Norris.

David Norris was the youngest son of William Norris and brother of Thomas Norris, see above, and then:

From Hereford Times August 6th 1853:
TALBOT INN, LEDBURY, HEREFORDSHIRE. TO LET, entered upon immediately, that old established Inn called "THE OLD TALBOT," situate in the New Street, with extensive Stabling behind. This is one of the oldest established Inns in Ledbury, and a first rate business House. For particulars, apply to Mr. Robert Jones, Auctioneer, Ledbury, or the present occupier, Mr. David Norris.

William Hill is the next landlord until 1857:
Then from Hereford Journal December 6th 1854.
The house warming dinner of Mr William Hill, the spirited landlord of the Talbot Inn, Ledbury, which was held last week was largely attended by gentleman, tradesmen and farmers. The usual loyal and patriotic toasts were given and duly honoured, and a very pleasant evening passed.
Monmouthshire Beacon March 14th 1857.
Feb 20 at the Talbot Inn Ledbury, Mr. Wm. Hill aged 44.
Worcestershire Chronicle June 8th 1859.
.....Maria Matthews, wife of James Matthews, landlord of the Old Talbot Inn Ledbury, deposed that....
Hereford Journal July 4th 1860.
Mr James Matthews is a builder, and keeps the Talbot Inn Ledbury....
for more on him see Linden House later.

In a legal case reported in the Hereford Journal August 23rd 1862 the plaintiff Mrs (Mary) Harris took the owner Mr James Jones to court. I am not going into all the reasons for this but a lot of interesting information about the Inn is given. Mrs Harris won the case.

The plaintiff formerly kept the Crown and Sceptre inn in Ledbury and in September 1860 became tenant of the Talbot Inn of which premises the defendant was the owner...
The defendant (Mr Jones) claimed rent for 1861 due at £42 10s... The premises were very old, in 1859 I purchased the premises, Matthews was the tenant...it was an old building of the year 1596...
Margaret Edwards: I lodged at the Talbot Inn for nine months; the tap room was very disagreeable, two young men left the house from the smell; customers would come in and go out again; there were holes along the room, and a bad smell in the kitchen and bar; the cooking kitchen is worse than the tap room; the legs of a bench or chair would frequently go in the holes...
Hereford Times May 9th 1863.
The license of the Talbot Inn Ledbury was transferred from Joshua Buckley, the late tenant, to Mr Peter Pockett, the present occupier.
Hereford Times July 23 1864.
TO be LET, with immediate possession, the OLD TALBOT INN, Ledbury with plenty of good stabling. Apply to the present landlord.

From The Tenbury Wells Advertiser April 21st 1885:
Public Examination of James Wetson, landlord of the Old Talbot Inn, Ledbury. The debtor stated that his unsecure liabilities amounted to £175.4s.3d and his net assets £29 15s....Took the Crown and Sceptre Inn at Ledbury...

From Gloucestershire Chronicle December 8th 1888:
Messrs. Hatton and Co., brewers, Gloucester have purchased the Old Talbot Inn, Ledbury with an adjoining shop, for £1325. The property which is let at £43 per annum, had been withdrawn at an auction, when the highest bidding was £1170. The Old Talbot (or Tabard) is one of the antiquities of Ledbury.

From Worcestershire Chronicle January 25th 1902:
Mr. Treasure of Gloucester on behalf of Messrs Ind Coope and Co. was granted permission to make certain alterations, viz, to pull down the adjoining house and premises so as to make room to place vehicles on market day.

From the Hereford Journal December 21st 1907
Ledbury Petty Sessions:
Before Messrs J. Riley (presiding), S. H. Bickham, R. A. Swayne, H. Bray. J. Boyd and C. W. R. Cooke: The license of the Old Talbot Inn Ledbury was transferred to R Drinkwater, on the understanding that the skittle alley would not be used.
Later landlords are:

Year. Landlord. Year Landlord
1905 Richard Drinkwater 1912 Sidney Francis Allen
1917 Thomas Michael Pudge 1926 Edwin William Cushinn
1929 James Summerfield 1933 John Allwood
1944 Elsie L. Stead 1948 Leslie W. C. Wrist
1966 Carol Judge 1970 Darrel V. Hartsorne
1977 Nicholas Guest 1983 Ernest A. Harrison
1988 Pauline Jennifer Ryan 1989 Colin Geoffrey Price

The Vine Brewery complex is next but before that here are two useful plans.

The first, dated 1845, is drawn unconventionally with New Street at the bottom. I have left it as it is as rotating it would make all the text upside down.

From this we can seee that Mr G Dunn is in Vine House with a school room adjoining and Richard Court is in the Vine Tap pub.
From the 1839 Tithe Map apportionment we know that Robert Slade owns all this including the house identified as No 1.

Robert Slade (1786-1865) married Elizabeth Cox in Ledbury in 1811, they had 11 children all born in Horse Lane (Worcester Street).
An astute businessman he is initially described as a carpenter in the children's baptism records, as a builder by 1821 and a gentleman in 1830 when his last child, Reginald was born.
By 1839 he owned some 15 properties in Ledbury including the Vine Brewery complex.
In 'Parkway House' in 1851 where his wife, Elizabeth, died in 1861.

The 1860 sale plan of the Vine Brewery complex, which did not include what is now called the Vine Tap Inn see later , shows that it was all owned by one person which would still be Robert Slade. He died in 1865.

What is now Nos 20 and 22 are one house owned and occupied by 'Reece'. Note the two convenient Dung Holes in the Yard for General Use. Must have been very convenient!

Vine House 1845

The later plan, shown below, dated 1860, shows that little has changed except that Richard Court has died and a cottage has appeared at the bottom of the yard usefully located near the two dung heaps!
A seperate schedule lists the tenants of the coloured areas.

The associated Sale Advert, in the Hereford Times of July 7th 1860 gives a description of the Vine House:
NEW STREET, LEDBURY. VALUABLE FREEHOLD PROPERTY. MR. PHILIP BAYLIS will SELL by AUCTION, at the New Inn, in the Town of Ledbury, at Five for Six o'clock in the Evening of THURSDAY, the 19th day of JULY 1860, In one or more Lots, and subject to conditions.
This Property, situate in New street, Ledbury, consists of a substantially built and commodious DWELLING HOUSE, containing Entrance hall, two Parlours, Dining and Drawing rooms, five Bedrooms. Kitchen and Back kitchen, with convenient Out offices, and good Cellaring; large Room (lately used as a School room), adjoining, with Bedroom over.
A spacious Malt house, also adjoining, with Cistern, large Couching floors, newly erected Kiln, and Store-rooms.
This Property comprises an area of about one Acre, is centrally situated, well adapted for many business purposes, supplied with excellent water, and offers most desirable opportunity for investment. The Premises are occupied Mr. George Dunn, Maltster; Mr. Thomas Denton, and others.
Particulars and Lithographed Plans of the Property may be obtained on application Messrs. Mutlow and Barber, and Messrs. Gregg and Son, Solicitors, Ledbury.

Vine House 1860

Vine Brewery Ad

I have shown that the Vine Brewery ( not including the Inn) was owned by Robert Slade in 1860, the Vine Tap Inn being owned by the Executors of Richard Court.

The Brewery complex was bought by Thomas Lane in 1860 as this advert and the newspaper report shows:
From the Hereford Times November 15th 1862:
TO be LET, a large and convenient DWELLING HOUSE in the New street, Ledbury, heretofore used as a first-class Boarding School, with a stable, coach house, garden, and large private yard, and either with or without a ten quarter malt house adjoining.
If desired, 20 acres of land within a short distance could be had.
Apply to Mr. Thomas Lane, Wall Hill, Ledbury.

Thomas Lane was the father of John Lane, a Brewer, whose story is told in the Lane Bros. page
see here.

By 1886, when the whole complex was again up for sale , the Inn is part of the Brewery.

No 16 The Vine House.

No 16 New St

Built about 1750 and a Grade 2 listed Building.
C17 with C18 brick front, painted. Gable ended roof of new interlocking tiles. 2 storeys. 3 windows. Sashes with glazing bars. Central field panel door, with rectangular fanlight and hood on shaped brackets. Band between floors. Timber frame C17 barn attached on west side.

part of Tithe map
Plot 251 on the 1839 Tithe map. Described as Houses & Cider warehouses, owned by Robert Slade and occupied by George Dunn.

George Dunn b 1789 in Cumberland married Mary Ann (probably King) from Colwall in about 1816.

A schoolmaster, until at least until 1851, they had:
Ann King (Dunn) in 1817.
Richard King (Dunn) in 1819 in Horse Lane.
Thomas in 1821 in Horse Lane.
Mary Eunice in 1823 in Horse Lane.
Mary Ann in 1825 in the Homend.
George in 1828 in New Street and
Martha Jane in 1831 in New Street.

From this we can see he was in Horse Lane from 1819 to 1823, the Homend (probably in the Red Lion see later) in 1825 and the Vine House from 1828.
From Hereford Times November 20th 1852:
Jul 2nd, of pleurisy, at Burra Burra, South Australia, in his 33rd year Richard King Dunn, Esq. Surgeon, eldest son of Mr George Dunn of Ledbury.

Ann King (Dunn) married Lewis Thomas Chambers in Ledbury in October 1854.
Mary Ann junior married James Meacham, chemist of the High St., in June 1848.

In 1841 he is in the Vine House with 11 pupils. In 1851 and 1861 he is described as Maltster doubtless making good use of the adjoining malthouse.

He left Vine House in 1862.

George and Mary Ann died in 1865.

He never owned the Vine House, renting it at £40 per annum. He did own some property in the Homend which has little to do with New Street but is shown here as it is of interest to Ledbury History.

From the Hereford Journal 21st July 1866:
LEDBURY, HEREFORDSHIRE. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, IN ONE LOT, BY MR. HARTLAND, on the premises, on TUESDAY, the 7th day August, 1866, 4 o'clock in the afternoon, by direction of the Trustees of the late George Dunn, Esq., and subject to conditions to be then produced :
All that substantially-built PUBLIC HOUSE called the RED LION, or Railway Inn, in the occupation of Miss Dixon, consisting of commodious bar and excellent rooms on the ground floor, large market room and nine bedrooms; backyard with suitable coachhouses, stables and out-buildings ; and garden adjoining.
The above premises are situate in Homend street, Ledbury, about three minutes' walk from the railway-station, in the direct road from the station to the town, and in admirable position to command a first-rate business.
Also 11 COTTAGES adjoining thereto, with backyard, garden, and premises well adapted for building sites; but producing in their present condition aggregate rental of upwards of £50 per annum.
The whole property is Freehold; having a frontage of about 35 yards on Homend street, and extending in the rear to the Back lane, a distance of about 75 yards. It is subject only to land-tax of 14s. 6d., charged on the Red Lion, and chief rent of 2s. For further particulars apply to Messrs. Masefield and Sons, Solicitors, Ledbury.

A notice in the Hereford Times of July 18th 1863 shows Mr East has taken over the school:
Conducted by MR. EAST, on the Premises lately occupied by Mr. Dunn.
This School affords Parents an opportunity of securing for their Sons a First class Commercial or Agricultural Education. The domestic arrangements secure the comforts of home combined with moral and intellectual culture.
The VACATION TERMINATES the 20th day of July. Terms. &c., on application.

William Edmund East was living in West Bank (now West Hill) in 1861 but had moved to Kent by 1871.

A later advert in the Leicester Journal of January 18th 1867 shows Mr Rapson has taken over:
THIS School is now conducted by Mr. RAPSON, formerly School and Choir Master of St. John's, Leicester. In addition to an ordinary English Education, the Pupils receive instruction in Latin, French, Music, and Drawing.
The Premises are large, commodious, and healthy. Great attention will be paid to the domestic comforts, as well to the education of the Pupils. Terms, references, &c, on application.

In 1871 Edward Rapson is in the Vine House. The full household is:

Edward Rapson Head 35 Schoolmaster (Certificated) Organist b Cornwall.
Eleanor Rapson (née McCardle) 34 Schoolmistress b Ireland.
Edward James Rapson son 9 b Taunton.
Elizabeth Mary Rapson daughter 2 months b Ledbury.
Josiah Rapson Nephew 11 Scholar b Natal.
Benjamin Rapson Nephew 10 Scholar b Wandsworth.
Annie Jane Rapson Niece 9 Scholar b Natal.
Sarah Jane Peberdy Assistant 20 Assistant Schoolmistress b Leicester.
Alick Tooby Boarder 9 Scholar b Hartpury.
Laura Hellen Cale Boarder 6 Scholar b Ashperton.
Eliza Davis Servant 20 b Dymock.

In 1860 Edward is presented with a testimonial on leaving, for health reasons, the National School in Falmouth.
In Ledbury by 1871 he is Curate of All Saints Church in East Pennard near Shepton Mallet, Somerset in 1881 and appointed vicar of St Dunstan's near Glastonbury in 1893.
Eleanor died in 1894, he died in 1920. Elizabeth Mary never married and died in 1955.

Sarah A Allgood 41 b Ledbury and 'Living off interest of money' is here in 1881
She was a daughter of Edwin Allgood, 1896 ─ 1877, a Druggist in No1 Southend in 1841. He married Ann Powell in 1836, as well as Sarah Ann they had Elizabeth in 1836, Edmund in 1838. Edwin's wife Ann died in 1859, Sarah Ann never married and died in September 1881. All events in Ledbury.

From 1891 to 1923 Charles Bastow, owner of the Vine Brewery is here. For more on him click
A 1929 aerial view of the front area of the Vine House and part of New Street.

Vine House 1929
In 1930 Sidney Tookey and his wife Winifred are here, later occupants are:
1940 A Priday.
1950 A Priday.
1960 Unoccupied.
1970 Ledbury Farmers Ltd.
1980 Ledbury Farmers Ltd.
1989 Ledbury Farmers Ltd.
2002 Vine House Catering.

No 18.

A Grade 2 listed building.
The listing groups Nos 18, 20 and 22 together.
C18. Brick, Nos 18 and 20 painted. Slate roof with gable ends. 3 storeys and attics. 3 windows. 2 old casements, No 22 has leaded panes and one 9 pane sash. Nos 18 and 22 have small Victorian windows with pilasters and fascia. No 20 modern shop with fluted pilasters and door. 2 flush panelled doors with cambered heads. 1 later gabled dormer.

No 18 New St

part of Tithe map

Plot 252 on the Tithe map. Described as Houses and Yards, (applies to Nos 18,20 & 22) owned by William Reese and occupied by himself and John Terry,

In 1841and 1851 James Needs, a tailor, is in No 18. Born in 1799 in Bath he married Betty from Trowbridge, they had no children and seem to disappear after 1851.

In 1861 Humphrey Tugwell is here. An Attorney's Clerk and born in Ledbury in 1825 he married Margaret Spencer from Back Lane in about 1858. They had:
Mary Margaret in 1858 in Ledbury.
Charles Richard in 1860 in Ledbury.
Elizabeth Emma in 1862 in Ledbury.
Charles Humphry in 1864 in Ledbury.
William in 1866 in Ledbury.

Moving to Aston in Birmingham by 1871, he died in Cheltenham in 1892.

Unoccupied in 1871 Frederick Morgan, 29, Watch and Clock Maker is here in 1881
He moved to the larger premises next door, No 20, by 1891 leaving No 18 unoccupied in 1891.
Born in 1852 in Ledbury he married Mary Ann Holder (b 1854 in Dymock) in Ledbury in 1874 they had:

Edward in 1873.
Sydney in 1875 in Ledbury.
Agnes in 1877 in Leominster.
Frederick in 1883 in Ledbury.
Edith in 1883 in Ledbury.
Charles in 1884 in Ledbury.
Henry in 1887 in Ledbury.
Beatrice in 1888 in Ledbury.
Alice in 1891 in Ledbury.
Nancy in 1896 in Ledbury.

Mary Ann died in 1929, Frederick in 1830.

In 1901 William Dale 46 a Tailor is here.
William Dale, born in 1855 in Yorkshire, married Ellen Argent, b 1852 in Southwold Essex, in Chelsea in 1882.

They had:
Elizabeth in 1884 in Wareham.
Henry G in 1887 in Wareham.
Percy in 1889 in Ledbury.
Alice in 1891 in Ledbury.
Ethel Lucy in 1894 in Ledbury.
These birth places shows he came to Ledbury in about 1888.
Ethel Lucy married George Watkins in Ledbury in 1931.

William died in 1902 and in 1911 and 1921 Ellen is running a boarding house in Church House, she died in 1934.

In 1911 Benjamin Colley 42 Coach Builder from Cheltenham and his wife Alice, 37 from Much Marcle.

From at least 1920 A. Bounds is listed as occupant in Tillery's but the 1921 census shows:

Elizabeth Gimlett 67 b Burley.
Florence Elsie Bounds 17 granddaughter b Ledbury.
Allan Claude Bounds 13 grandson b Ledbury.
Frank Norman Bounds 12 grandson b Ledbury.
For the grandchildren the census records: Mother dead.

Adam Allan Bounds married Florence Maud Bayliss in 1902 in Hereford. They had:
Florence Elsie in 1905 in Ledbury.
Winifred Maisie in 1906 in Ledbury.
Allan Claude in 1908 in Ledbury.
Frank Norman in 1909 in Ledbury.

Florence died in 1913 aged just 35.
Allan Claude married Lilian G Moore in Ledbury in 1929.

Adam Allan Bounds was born in 1878 in Manchester. Described as a Grocer's Manager in 1911 he is manager of the India and China Tea Company in what is now ? on the corner of the High Street and Church Lane. He died in 1941.

Later occupants in No 20 from Tilley's are:

1950 A Bounds
1940 Hatton and Son Painters etc.
1950 ditto.
1960 Klimek K P watchmaker.
1970 Carey J H retail gunshop.
1980 Gummer K Fruit.
1989 Fruit & Veg Shop.
2002 Fruit & Veg Shop.

No 20.

No 20 New St

Unoccupied in 1841 Mary 36 and Emma 34 Bell, booksellers, are here in 1851 and the 1861 census shows Thomas Ballard 34.
It would be easy to assume that Thomas Ballard, was related to Stephen Ballard of canal fame but I can find no obvious connection. Stephen Ballard was born in Colwall, Thomas in Powick near Worcester.
Thomas Hawkins Ballard married Elizabeth Holmes in 1855 in Worcester and they had:
Kate in 1857.
Elizabeth H. in 1856.
Thomas J. in 1860 all in Ledbury.
In 1871 he is the schoolmaster at the National School in Ripple.

No 20 is unoccupied in 1871, in 1881 Henry Poytress, a tailor, 49 and born in Tirley is here with his wife Caroline from St. Briavels.
By 1891 Frederick Morgan has moved here from No 18. Still here in 1912, he is in No 11 on the other side of the road in 1920 but back on the South side in No 2 (qv) in 1921.
Later occupants from Tilleys's are:
1920 C. Maddox.
1930 W.G. Gobey
1940 James' Hairdressing Saloon.
1950 Banks' Haidressing Saloon.
1960 Waller & Waller Opticians.
1970 Waller & Waller Opticians.
1980 Waller & Waller Opticians.
1989 Waller & Waller Opticians.
2002 Waller & Waller Opticians.

No 22.

No 222 New St

In 1841 Benjamin Hodges 25 and his wife Ann are in residence, neither is from Ledbury.
From 1851 to 1861 William Cale, a butcher, is in No 22.
Born in February 1799, in Ledbury, son of Frances & Elizabeth, he married Esther from Dymock. They didn't seem to have any children.
He died in 1863, Esther in 1866.

Unoccupied in 1871 Henry Poytree 49, a butcher, from Tirley and his wife Catherine 48 from St Briavels are here in 1881.

From 1891 to 1911, Thomas Charles Hamblin a bootmaker from Welland followed by his son Wilfred Charles in 1921.The Hamblins were here for 100 years! See Tilleys below.
More on the Hamblins:
Thomas Charles Hamblin was born in Welland in 1859. He married Barbara Lane, b 1858, in Upton on Severn (District) in 1883. They had in New Town: Wilfred Charles in 1884, Beatrice Barbara in 1887, Ernest in 1889
and in New Street Archibald in 1893, Lilian Gladys in 1894 and Arthur Thomas in 1899. Thomas senior died in 1939, Barbara in 1940. Wilfred Charles follows his father into the business. He married Sarah Anne Baker in Ledbury in 1916 and they had Susie Barbara in 1920. Sarah Ann died in 1957, Wilfred in 1963.
Beatrice married Howard Johnson in 1912, Lilian Gladys married Walter Gobey in 1921. Arthur Thomas married Mildred Hancock in 1928.

Most of these are buried in the cemetery with the following inscription on the tomb:

Arthur Thomas Hamblin died April 25th 1938 aged 38 years.
In ever loving memory of Thomas Charles Hamblin died April 11th 1939 aged 80 years. Barbara Hamblin died April 2nd 1940 aged 79 years.
Archibald Hamblin killed on active service Sept 19th 1917 aged 25 years.
In loving memory of Margaret Brown, wife of Bernard, loving mother of Janet and Michael died January 27th 2012 aged 79.

From Tilleys:

1940 Hamblin and Son Bootmakers.
1950 Hamblin and Son Bootmakers.
1960 Hamblin W. C.
1970 Hamblin Miss.
1980 Hamblin.
1989 Hamblin Susie.
2002 Phillips R.

No 24.

No 24 New St

A Grade 2 listed Building.

Small C17 timber frame building, fairly wide panels with brick infilling. 1 storey and attic. Modern multi-pane shop windows, 1 gabled dormer. Tiled roof with gabled end.

part of Tithe map

Not numbered on the Tithe Map, hence no description. Shown circled here and presumed to be an integral part of Plot No 250, The Vine Tap Inn (see later)

In 1841 John Tyler, 29 and his wife Harriett, née Weobley, 27 are here. They married in 1837 in Ledbury and moved to Back Lane by 1851.
Here in 1851 is John Matthews
John Matthews, b 1817, married Mary Ann Court, b 1815 and sister to Richard Court (see below), in 1843 and they had Mary Ann in 1844, John in 1846, Jane in 1848, Alice in 1850 and Richard in 1854.
By 1861 the family are in the Homend where John is described as Landlord.
Back in New Street in 1861 Thomas Denton, 33, a groom from Ledbury is here.

Thomas Denton, b 1828, married Frances Bunn, b 1826, in Ross in 1852. They had Julia Ann in 1854, Frances Sarah in 1860. The family are in Cheltenham by 1871.

In 1871 Sarah Johnson, 39 a widow, and a 'shoebinder' is here.
As Sarah Wosher b 1832, she married Thomas Johnson, both from Bradlow, in 1858.
In Church Lane they had Thomas in 1863, Stephen in 1865 and Charles in 1867. Thomas senior died in 1867 aged just 32.
In 1881 Thomas is a hairdresser's assistant in the Homend, Stephen and Charles are in the Ledbury Workhouse. I cannot find what happened to Sarah.
George Bosley 55, an engine driver from Upton Bishop, is here in 1881 with his wife Mary Anne 56 from Ledbury and their son, James A., a stoker, 24, born in Bye Street Ledbury.
George married Mary Anne Fawkes in Ledbury on July 23rd 1855. As well as James Andrew in 1857, they had Elizabeth in 1859, Emma and John William in 1865. Elizabeth married William Partridge in Ledbury in 1878. George died in 1884, Mary Anne in 1898.
The 1891 census shows Elizabeth Hill 53, a widow from Eastnor with her daughter Adeline 14.
In 1901 John Smith 40, a Coal Dealer from Evesham, is here with his wife Jane and 5 children all born in Worcester later, in 1906, they had Harold in Ledbury.
In 1911 the family are in No 3 Woodleigh Road.

Vine Stores

The censuses, and the 1939 survey which I use, record residents.
The 1911, the 1921 census and the 1939 Survey do not list No 24 as having an occupant so I have to assume nobody lived there. Nevertheless it must have had a function.

Tilley's in 1921 shows ‘The Vine Brewery, Cheltenham Brewery Co. as occupants. They owned the Vine Tap Inn, presumably this was an 'Off Licence'.

The 1932 Tilley's gives Taylor F W Wine and Spirit Merchant here and this listing lasted through to 1970 after which it is just Vine Stores until 1984 when both the Vine Stores and the Vine Tap Inn are empty suggesting that the Brewery owned both and had decided to sell.
The Chinese takeaway is in the Inn by 1987 and No 24 is 'Open Door' from 1988 to c1995 when it became Janet's hairdressing Salon.
Open Door was the first office for Ledbury council for voluntary service, the ring and ride scheme started there and the organisation later moved to an office in the town council building.

No 26. The Vine Tap Inn.
aka The Cooper's Arms and the Net of Corks.

Vine Tap Inn

A Grade 2 listed Building.
C17. 2 gables on road front, 1 timber framed, the other C18 painted brick. Fairly wide brick filled panels, colour washed, on timber frame part.
2 storeys, 1st floor two 2 light casement windows.
Ground floor early C19 wide canted bay with glazing bars and wide cornice carried on shaped brackets over wide double flush panel doors in moulded doorcase.

part of Tithe map

Plot 250 on the tithe map and owned and occupied by Sarah Shinn in the Tithe map Apportionments.

Although Sarah Shinn is listed as owner/occupier in the 1839 Tithe map, the 1841 census lists:
Richard Court 25 a Cooper.
Sarah Court 30.
Richard Court 1.
Thomas Shinn 10.

This suggests that Sarah Shinn and Sarah Court are the same person!
Born in 1802, as Sarah Gibbons she married William Shinn in 1829 and they had Thomas in 1829 and William Hatton (Shinn) in 1832.
William senior died in 1834 and she remarried Richard Court in 1838, they had Richard in 1839 and Mary Ann in 1842.
Sarah died in 1849 and Richard senior in 1853. All events in Ledbury.
The Court family were farmers from Friar's Court Kempley, Richard was a Cooper being a person who makes wooden barrels etc.

It looks as if Richard Court is only living there courtesy of William Shinn's Executors as when Sarah died on July 25th 1849 the place was promptly up for sale.
From the Hereford Times August 18th 1849:
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION By Robert Jones. On Monday the 27th August 1849 at the Coopers' Arms Public house, in the occupation of Mr. Richard Court. ALL the Neat and Useful HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE of the late Mr. William Shinn, as directed his Executor ; comprising four post, tent, and stump bedsteads, three feather beds and one flock bed, bolsters and pillows, blankets. coverlets, linen, chests with drawers, wash, dressing, and night tables and other chamber requisites. Leaf, dining, and pillar and claw tables, chairs, bureau, cupboard, eight day clock, glass and earthenware, fenders, fire irons, pots, kettles, and other culinary articles, and sundry Effects. Sale will commence at Eleven o clock.

And in the same newspapaper:
On the premises on Monday, the 27th of August, at four o'clock in the afternoon subject to conditions then to be produced:
All that DWELLING HOUSE, in the occupation of Richard Court, called the Coopers' Arms, situate on the South Side of the NEW STREET in the town of Ledbury aforesaid, and now in the full business as a Beer and Cider House consisting of a Kitchen, Parlour, Back Kitchen, three good Bedrooms and a large underground cellar.
There is in the Back Kitchen a pump with a never ending supply of water.
The Kitchen and the bedroom over are leasehold for the term of 99 years commencing on the 2nd February 1848 at the rent of 2s 6d per annum and the residue of the property is Freehold of Inheritance.

Richard Court must have bought it. He is still here in 1851, died in 1853 and in the 1860 plan, shown above, the building is listed as owned by ' Executors of late Richard Court.'

In 1861, with the pub now known as the Net of Corks, is William Mayall 51 from Ledbury, his wife, Ann, 50 and daughter 13.
He left shortly after the census: From a court case in the Hereford Journal of l Nov 22nd 1862.....William Mayall who formerly kept a beershop in Ledbury.....he gave up his business at Michaelmas 1861...
William Mayall b 1810 in Ledbury married Ann Rutter in Ledbury in 1844. They had Elizabeth Ann in 1846 and Isabella Lucy in 1848. At a double wedding on May 13th 1868 in Ledbury Elizabeth married George Cook and Isabella married John Williams. William died in Worcester in 1864

1871 shows Aaron Beaumont 28 as publican, the pubs name not given.
Not here long as the birth places of his children shows:
Born in 1843 in Dymock, he married Susan Sirrell, from Much Cowarne in 1866 and they had Thomas Aaron in 1867, in Putley, William in 1870 (died 1870), Richard in 1871, Henry in 1874, Barnett in 1877 and Annie in 1879 all in Much Marcle.
It seems ha had an affair before he was married!
From the Hereford Journal June 2nd 1866:
A Little Responsibility.
Aaron Beaumont, farmer, of Putley, was called upon to show cause why he should not contribute to the support of a child, of which he was declared to be the putative father.
Mr. Averill appeared for the mother (a buxom-looking woman) and Mr. Gwillim for the defendant, who was not in Court. The service of the summons was proved by Mr. Arnold, sergeant at mace, who said the defendant occupied a small cottage and garden at Putley.
He had only been married recently, and farmed about 11 acres. Mr. Averill applied for an allowance of 2s. 6d. a week, but Mr. Gwillim said his own experience led him to believe that if they attempted to overweight man, it often ended his leaving the country, and them the mother got no support for her child. Ordered to pay ls. 9d. a week with the usual allowance.

In 1881 Joseph Dance, a drayman, is here.
Joseph Cooper Dance b 1848 in Ashleworth married Judith Reeves in 1873.
They had Joseph Thomas in 1874,( died 1876) William in 1876, George in 1878, and Agnes in 1881.
Joseph senior died in Ledbury in 1883 and Judith remarried, in Ledbury, Mark Wichard in 1884 had 3 children by him and died in 1891.
The Inn was probably promptly take over by William Smart as his children's baptism records show his first daughter was born in New Street at that time.
In 1891 William Smart is landlord, the pub now listed as Vine Tap Inn. He was born in Bye Street in 1857, 3rd son of James, a baker, and Mary. He married Charlotte Ann Watkins, b 1852, on Dec 15th 1879. They had:
Henry Edward in 1880
Charles James in 1882 in Bye Street.
Margaret Elizabeth in 1883 in New Street.
Annadale in 1884 in New Street.
Landlord of the Ring of Bells on the other side of the street in 1901.
Here in 1901 is Charles Lee, 43. He was landlord until 1937.
Charles Lee was born in 1859 to Thomas and Mary of Hambrook. He married Jane Bowers in 1879 and they had 7 children with only one son!

1879 Ada Jane Bowers.
1881 Olive Ann Bowers.
1883 Ethel Mary Bowers.
1886 Ella Emily Bowers.
1891 Charles Herbert Thomas Bowers.
1894 Mabel Louise Bowers.
1897 Florence Hilda Kathleen Bowers.
All with the surname Lee of course, Jane, it seems was determined that the Bowers name carried on!
Jane died at the Vine Tap in 1922, similarly Charles in 1937.

Mabel Louise Bowers Lee married Samuel B Moore in 1937 and is the Mrs S. Moore in the Vine Tap from 1938 to 1958. She died in 1965
All events in Ledbury.
Later landlords from Tilley's are:

1938, thro to 1958, Mrs S Moore.
1960 A J Whitson.
1970 P Hughes.
1980 P Hughes.
1987 Chinese Takeaway.

The Vine Tap 1937

Dated about 1937 this shows the Vine Tap Inn and part of Glenmoir.



A Grade 2 listed Building.
C17 and C18. 2 storeys and attic. 2 gables on to road, 1 smaller.
Roughcast, quoins to angles and window surrounds. 16-pane sashes with cambered heads. Attic casement. Centre door of 6 panels with pediment on shaped brackets.

part of Tithe map

Plot 249 on the tithe map described as house and garden, owned by John Biddulph and occupied by Elizabeth Adey and Joseph Watch in the Tithe map Apportionments.

In the following I always refer to the building as Glenmoir, in fact it was not given that name until about 1936.

A large complex of buildings owned by the Biddulph family until at least 1910, probably 1936.
Occupied by Charles Hill from 1860 until 1884, Henry Smith until about 1910. It then became the Office and printing works for the Ledbury Reporter with the house called Cheylesmore House. In 1936, now just a house called Glenmoir owned? and occupied by Alfred Gorin until about 1965 after which it became occupied by various accountants.

Elizabeth Adey is here in 1841 with children Richard, Maria and Mary.

Elizabeth Norris b 1808 in Ledbury, daughter of William and Mary Norris, married Richard Adey in Ledbury on June 22nd 1827 and they had Elizabeth in 1828, Richard in 1829, Maria in 1831 and Mary Ann Norris in 1832.
Born in 1786 Richard was man of some substance owning houses in Gloucester. Unfortunately in 1841 he is in Gloucester Lunatic Asylum and it seems likely that Elizabeth and children returned to Glenmoir by 1841 to be near her parents, her father was landlord of the Talbot.

In 1851 J E Meacham, 26 a Chemist, and family are in residence

James Edwin Meacham was born in Ledbury 1827 to Edwin and Hannah, Edwin senior was a chemist in High St.

James married Mary Anne Dunn on May 29th 1848, she was the daughter of George Dunn of the Vine House (see above).
They had Helen Frances, baptised Dec 15th 1848!, Edwin 1850, William Henry 1852, Alice Mary in 1853, Richard in 1855, Ada in 1858 and James E. in 1849. The first two children were born in New Street, the rest in High Street.

In the 1861 census James' father Edwin is a farmer in Eastnor and it is probable from the children's baptisms that he retired from thr High St to make way for his son James in 1853.
James and his family are in High Street in 1861 but I can find no trace after that.

There is more on Edwin Meacham senior in The Willows, South Parade, click

In 1861 the picture is slightly confusing. Walking down New Street today next to the Vine Tap is Glenmoir, then, fronting and facing the road is Linden House.
From 1861 to 1901 there are two households listed between the Vine Tap and Linden House. The second one listed is always Charles Hill, more on him later but the property he lived in will not be featured.

In Glenmoir in 1861 is William Stephens, 45 a Cooper.
Born in 1816 in Newent he married Ann Williams in Abergavenny in 1847 and they had Henry in 1848, William Robert in 1851, George in 1854, Charles in 1858 and Elizabeth Ann in 1861, the last four as a cooper in New Street Ledbury so he arrived here in 1851.

In 1871 Reuben Matthews, 39 a builder runs his business here.
Reuben Matthews b 1832, married Eliza Hart in c 1852.
They had Emma in 1854, Annie in 1857, Eliza in 1859, Reuben William in 1861, Mary Jane in 1862, Dora in 1868 and Kate Ellen in 1869, the last four in Ledbury so he must have arrived here c 1861..
Reuben Matthews is still here in 1881 49 now employing 8 men, 2 boys and sons .

In 1891 John S Webb 39 is here as 'assistant to wife' who is a beer dealer.
John Stanford Webb b. 1852 to Benjamin, a butcher in the Southend, and Jane married Eliza Davies on June 5th 1876.
They had Herbert in 1877, Ralph J in 1879, Constance K in 1880, Florence in 1881, Frank E in 1883, Mina in 1884, Evan T in 1887 and Hilda A in 1890. All events in Ledbury.
All the children were born in the High St. where John is a grocer in 1881 employing 3 men and a boy. Why he packed that in is not clear, perhaps the business was not successful.
In 1901 he is in Cardiff with his family as a Train Conductor.

In 1901 Thomas G Vaughan 40 General Printer is here.

Thomas G Vaughan's whole life is a mystery!
Census returns and the report of his death in the newspaper says he was born in Kington and I can find the christening of Thomas Vaughan in Kington on March 31st 1861 to Thomas and Elizabeth so I suppose this is he.
I cannot find him again until he is in Glenmoir in 1901 as a General Printer. He gives his status as married.
With him is Ada Payne 30, single, Winifred Payne 4 and Constance Payne 3, the girls birth registrations gives their surname as Vaughan with mother's maiden name Payne. The 1911 census again gives their name as Payne.
Thomas died on November 30th 1911 not long after the census.

From the Hereford Times December 2nd 1911:
DEATH OF MR. THOMAS VAUGHAN. After a painful illness extending over 12 months Mr. Thomas Vaughan the editor and proprietor of The Ledbury Reporter died at his residence, Cheylesmore House. New Street. Ledbury, on Thursday morning at the age of 56 years.
Mr. Vaughan was a native of Kington. He was twice married and leaves a widow and two daughters.

The 1921 census shows Ada Vaughan 62 Widow and Constance Vaughan 25 daughter. The newspaper report says he was married twice and in the 1901 census he says he is married. I cannot find one marriage let alone two, perhaps he did the right thing by Ada just before he died.
Winifred is not listed, she married William E L Bruzand in Ledbury and they set off to Gibraltar on the SS China on May 22nd 1914.
Ada died in New Street in January 27th 1922
Tilley's in 1912 lists the house as the Reporter Office, Mrs. Vaughan.

The Electoral register for 1919 lists Ada at The Printing Works but in the register for 1921 she is in Cheylesmore House.

In 1926 it is still the Reporter office with W S Bowes as manager.

Glenmoir 1929
The 1929 aerial picture above shows that there was plenty of space for the businesses mentioned. The Hill and Sons monumental works (later T A King & Co.) can be seen next to Glenmoir but not part of it.

About 1936 Alfred H Gorin moved to Glenmoir, which he so named, from his businesses on the other side of New Street.. He died in 1965 after which Glenmoir became offices for various Accountants through the years,

1864 Hill Ad
From Hereford Times
Jan 2nd 1864.

The above picture clearly shows a monumental display area and here in 1861 is Charles Hill, a monumental mason, whose name is associated with the area for some 80 years.

Charles Hill, b 1826 in Ocle Pychard, married Ellen Craddock in Worcester in 1852. She was born in Bodenham in 1830.
They had:
Evangeline in 1856, Charles in 1859, Dennis in 1863, Ada in 1869, Helen in 1867 and Herbert in 1873, all in Ledbury. Still here in 1881, he died in 1884, Ellen in 1913.

Here in 1891, not long after Charles Hill's death, is Henry Smith, 34 stonemason, he is perhaps employed by the Hill family. Born in 1857 in Donnington he married Mary A Foster, from Little Marcle in Ledbury 1882 and they had Edwin in 1884, Ellen in 1886, Percy in 1889 and Montague in 1891, all in Ledbury.
Although still a stonemason he has moved to a bigger house on the other side of New Street by 1901.
1910 Hill Ad

As this advert from the 1910 Tilley's Almanack shows the company continued trading under that name long after Charles' death in 1884.

Tilley's refers to this area as Hill & sons, Sculptors, until 1931 after which King & Co are here until 1971.

Linden House

Linden House

A Grade 2 listed Building.
Early C19. Stuccoed. 2 storeys. 5 windows. 12-pane sashes. Door off centre, with fielded panels with bolection moulding, and slender Ionic columns to side,modillion cornice under arched fanlight with radial glazing bars. Moulded eaves cornice with modillions. Low-pitched slate roof with gabled ends. Brick chimney stack.

part of Tithe map
Plot 248 on the tithe map described as house yard and garden, owned by John Biddulph and occupied by John Matthews.

Extensive research by Jane Jinks into Linden House shows that John Matthews built it in 1828 on land owned by John Biddulph.

John Matthews, b 1778 in Derbyshire,, married Mary Hucknall in 1801. Two children are shown in the 1841 census: James, b 1812 in Melbourne, Derbyshire, and Ann b 1816 in Ledbury. She was baptised on July 21st 1816, Father a joiner, address 'the Wellington Division' ie Wellington Heath.
Mary died here in 1845, John in 1853 in the Southend.

From Hereford Journal March 9th 1853.
Feb. 21, at the George Hotel, Ledbury, Mr. John Matthews, sen., builder, aged 70, universally respected.

James married Maria Loade in 1848 and is in Bye St as a grocer in 1851 with Maria's children William b 1839 and Mary Anna b 1841. Landlord of the Talbot in 1859 and of the George Inn in Southend in 1861 he died in 1865.
Ann married Henry Inns in 1846 and they had Mary in 1846 and William Crump (Inns) in 1847. All events in Ledbury.

Linden House is a school from 1851 to the early 1900s.
Here in 1851 are Anne and Mary Phillips with their father John 66 and mother Priscilla 70. Priscilla died in 1856, John in 1872. They have 5 pupil boarders from Worcs and Herefs. Established in Gloucester House, Southend (for more click
here. they are well established in Linden House by 1856 as this advert shows:

From Hereford Times July 12th 1856:
in an old established School, a Young Lady as GOVERNESS PUPIL.
She will receive instruction in English grammaticallv. history, geography, the piano, drawing, and dancing with the calisthenics.
Terms £18 per annum. Also wanted in the same establishment a HALF BOARDER. Terms £14 per annum. Address, Y. Z., Linden House, Ledbury, Herefordshire.
By 1861, now only with their father, they have 6 boarders including two from Ledbury, Martha Hatwood 14 and Sarah Jane Wetson 9.
Still here in 1871 now with just three pupils including two from Ledbury, Ellen Chidley 16 and Emily Pope 10.
From Hereford Times October 27th 1877.
A LIMITED number of YOUNG LADIES RECEIVED, on whom are bestowed all the comforts and social engagements of home, combined with a liberal education. An Article Pupil required. Terms on application to "PRINCIPAL".

Ann died in 1874, Mary in 1878.
Just a Governess is here in 1881, Elizabeth Thatcher 51 from Goodrich but by 1891 the school is back in business with Marie Whittenbury 43, Schoolmistress, & Amelia Whittenbury, Governess with just one resident pupil, Edith Castle 13 from Witney in Oxfordshire.
Marie Whittenbury was born in Manchester to Richard and Mary née Holcroft in 1845.
She disappears from census returns until 1871 when she is in Old Court Bosbury as a governess/teacher in the household of Richard Hickman, farmer.
In 1881 she is living in 25 Southend as a 'Principal of School' with her mother Mary, now 70 and sister Amelia, 30 a teacher.
Mary senior died in 1882 in New Street so it seems likely that the Whittenburys were in the throes of moving to New Street in 1881.
The Whittenburys were still here in 1901, Marie died in Ledbury in April 1907 aged 62, Amelia Frances moved to a Boarding House kept by Emily Barnes in Worcester St by 1911, she died in St Katherine's Hospital in 1923.
From the Hereford Journal July 27th 1907:
At the London College of Music examination Miss Elsie E. Gardner, of Linden House, ( Miss Whittenbury's), was again successful, passing the advanced senior division (pianoforte) first class with honours. She is a pupil of Mr. T. F. Davis, New Street, Ledbury.
For more on T F Davis see No 7 on the North side.

The 1910 survey shows the property still owned by Lord Biddulph with a Captain Peacock as occupant but the 1911 census gives Arthur William Montgomery Campbell, single, 58, as resident.
From Leamington Spa he died in 'The Heath' Redmarley in 1930, occupation given as Secretary to the Ledbury Hunt.
In 1921 Emily Mary Letitia Martin 71 b Madras India and her daughter Kathleen Hamilton 40.
Emily died in Ledbury in 1928.

Later occupants from Tilley's are:
1929 Miss Martin.
1930 Unoccupied
1931 A Hopkins
1940 Mrs Hopkins
1950 J Hopkins
1960 J Hopkins
1970 Mrs M I Hopkins
1980 E S Kannreuther
1989 E S Kannreuther
2002 M Crook.

Linden House is the last premises shown here on the 1839 Tithe Map and there is no census record for the next property, Taverner House where J Hopkins Coach Builder was based, until 1861. The Hopkins name may be researched later.